Author Topic: Events 2011  (Read 35405 times)

Craic

Re: Events 2011
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jan 2011, 09:00 »
Six BayRaiders?
Damn!
Thats six crews in front of me in the queue for oysters and free wine each evening. Must get a faster boat.

Sorry Tony, EIGHT this morning. Latest entry is BR Catchando Bay.

Tony

« Reply #16 on: 09 Jan 2011, 17:32 »

Sorry Tony, EIGHT this morning. Latest entry is BR Catchando Bay.

Eight, now? That's a whole flotilla of BayRaiders! Almost One Design races every day!
As they are all going to sail rings around most of the other boats in this class I predict a deal of interest being created - even more than 2009.

I've not noticed any S17's or S15's signed up yet ..... but pleased to see a couple of old friends from previous events.

With over 500 boats (280 in Flot 2 and Flot 3 ) registered so far its seems that it will be another mammoth success for the Morbihan. Last time they coped with nearly 1000 boats - and it was still possible to find a peaceful spot for lunch if you wanted to avoid the throng. Amazing!

Craic

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2011, 04:17 »
I added The Dorestad Raid to the 2011 list, exact dates to be announced later.
The Dorestad Raid is a real hardcore sail & oar raid, and one of the best in the European circuit. Get a taste from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdag5_cQYPQ .

By the way, anyone with info on other raid or raid-like events 2011, worldwide, pls come forward, so we can include them in the listing.

Craic

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2011, 06:41 »
July 19 - 23, 2011
The English Raid
out of Keyhaven / Lymington, The Solent, UK
Details and website tba.

Craic

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2011, 17:30 »
Eight, now? That's a whole flotilla of BayRaiders! Almost One Design races every day!...

BR No. NINE just joined, Mehefin.

Julian Swindell

« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2011, 21:57 »
I have done an outline map of the proposed 2011 English Raid on Google maps which you should be able to see here:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=217047991771723598310.000499b6c815929ca2721&t=h&z=10

I hope that it will go up on the Raid England website before long when they get round to updating it
http://www.raidengland.org/

It should be fun. Lots of Swallowboats and lots of other very interesting types. I put some photos of the 2010 Raid on my Picasa site here (I hope)
http://picasaweb.google.com/julian.swindell/EnglishRaidPhotos?feat=email#
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Craic

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2011, 08:25 »
VELA Raid ( VEnice LAgoon Raid), June 14 - 18: Their website is updated now and taking registrations. http://www.velaraid.it/eng/index.html

The organisers, the Circolo Velico Casanova, are a very active group. On their website are numerous links to other sailing events in the Lagoon.  http://circolovelicocasanova.provincia.venezia.it/

Tony

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jan 2011, 15:31 »
Hi, Claus.

I'd dearly love to do the VelaRaid.

You have done it a few times I believe. Are there any hidden downsides or expenses?
Mestre is pretty close to Venice so are accomodation costs/availability a problem in June?

(So many Raids, so little time!)

Craic

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jan 2011, 05:27 »
... I'd dearly love to do the VelaRaid. ... Are there any hidden downsides or expenses?
Mestre is pretty close to Venice so are accomodation costs/availability a problem in June? ...

Hi Tony,
for the duration of the Raid itself the organisers give a good estimate of the costs per day.: http://www.velaraid.it/eng/iscrizioni.html .
If you wish to stay around a few days before or after, you can check hotel prices and availability for instance at www.venere.com .
Hotel accommodation in Mestre is less expensive than on Venice island. Between Mestre and Venice island there are numerous public transport. At least every ten minutes there is a local bus between Mestre and Piazzale Roma.
As an alternative, there is one camping site in Mestre north, and another one at Fusina, ab bit south of the island.

Craic

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2011, 21:16 »
Morbihan: 10 BRs now. There is one Irish self-built BR in Flotille No. 2 now, named TBA.

TBA, if you read this: Flotille No. 2 Voile & Aviron is dominated by really small boats, Le Seils and 12 footers and such, so if there is even a hint of a blow, that Flotille is likely to be kept in the harbour or in sheltered waters only by the organisers. Which would be frustrating for more capable boats like the BRs. Do consider to reassign your boat to Flotille No. 3 which has more hardy boats in it. - All other BRs  -and one Cardigan Bay Lugger- are in Flotille No. 3 .

Craic

« Reply #25 on: 09 Feb 2011, 16:08 »
Morbihan:

The organisers just wrote that due to overflow in Flottille No. 3:

Flottille n°3              La Petite Plaisance Traditionnelle 
Loctudy, Olonnois, Drascombes, Cornish Shrimpers... Dériveurs anciens, "day-boats" populaires, et tous petits bateaux de construction traditionnelle < 6 m,
Mar 31   Ile d'Arz   
Mer 1        Accueil soir : Larmor Baden
Jeu 2    Escale Ile d'Arz 15h00-16h30     Accueil soir : Vannes
Ven 3   Escale Le Logeo 11h00-15h00     Accueil soir : Port Anna (Séné)
Sam 4    Escale Port Navalo 13h00-15h30 - Parade   Accueil soir : Port Blanc (Baden)

they have upgraded all Swallowboats en bloc to Flottille No. 7 which has boats of up to 8 metres

Flottille n°7              La Petite Plaisance Classique de moins de 8 m
Guépards, Cormorans, Belougas, Morgann, Tofinou, Billie Charlotte, Folkboats ainsi que les séries de dériveurs classiques, Flying Dutchman, Snipe, Caneton et 505
Mar 31   Ile d'Arz   
Mer 1        Accueil soir : Arradon
Jeu 2    Escale Port Navalo 11h00-15h00   Accueil soir : Saint Goustan (Auray)
Ven 3   Escale Port Navalo 11h00-15h00    Accueil soir : Larmor-Baden
Sam 4    Navigation Baie de Quiberon - Parade -   Accueil soir : Vannes

I like that, as fleet No. 3 was not scheduled to visit Auray, but No. 7 is. On the other side, we have many old friends in No. 3 and it would be pity to miss the reunion with them. However, there is always the meeting of all boats and fleet on Ile d'Arz on Tuesday.

Tony

« Reply #26 on: 09 Feb 2011, 19:02 »
Hi, Clause.....and all others Morbehan bound...

I'm a bit puzzled about the change from Flot:3 to Flot:7.
I have no worries about the  new route - apart from the open sea bit off Ile de Meaban on the St Goustan to Larmor Baden leg which might bring us into conflict with square riggers, and their retinue of press boats - it looks good. I am more worried by the arbitrary nature of the redistribution, with at least two BR20s still listed in Flot: 3   (Rhiannon and Mehefin).

Moving light boats such as my CBL and the BR20s in with heavier boats (some of whom are over 2 tonnes) seems odd when boats such as Crabber 17s, 22s and a couple of Drascombe Coasters are still remaining in Flot: 3.

Be interesting to see how the BR20s match up to the Flying Dutchmen!

Plenty of time for all this to be sorted out - if sorting out is needed - just so long as it keeps the queue for the oysters to manageable proportions

Craic

« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:02 »
... I'm a bit puzzled ...by the arbitrary nature of the redistribution, with at least two BR20s still listed in Flot: 3   (Rhiannon and Mehefin). ...

BRs Rhiannon and Mehefin were not built by the Swallowboats yard but were self-built by their owners. So probably they did not officially register as Swallowboats BayRaiders and thus were overlooked in the current redistribution of Swallowboats to Flot No. 7.

Flot No. 7 actually has more attractive routes to sail than No. 3, probably due to No. 7 boats presumably being faster and  more seaworthy. I even read of some 'Regate' on the way, organised races so. That'll be fun.

My latest count is 11 BayRaiders 20, plus Tony's Cardigan Bay Lugger. Quite a fleet.

Tony

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2011, 19:53 »
I see from the Semaine du Golfe Flotilla lists that Rhiannon and Mehefin are now back with the rest of the Swallow Boats Squadron (!) in Flotilla 7.

That was quick work. I wonder which other classes will have to be readjusted In view of these numbers:-

Flotilla                Numbers 10/02/11          
1  GIGS                              34   
2   SAIL & OAR                     166   
3  TRADITIONAL LEISURE BOATS     187   
4   LARGE CLASSIC YACHTS      87   
5   1960s CRUISERS             123   
6   WORKING BOATS              80   
7   SMALL CLASSIC YACHTS     161   
8   CLASSIC MOTOR BOATS              10   
9   CHARTER SHIPS              20   
12 BASQUE FLOTILLA              11   

Total         879   

There seems to be a deal of flexibility and overlap between Flots 2,3,5 and 7 with a few boats able to make a case for inclusion in any group.   I think, however, that Claus is right.... Flot. 7 has the better routes.

Matthew P

Re: Events 2011 -Morbihan
« Reply #29 on: 13 Feb 2011, 19:35 »
I plan to attend Morbihan with BR20 "Gladys".  Looks great fun.

Any current advice on registration, where to go, what to take?

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter