Author Topic: I suppose this means sailing season is over...  (Read 5172 times)

emf

I suppose this means sailing season is over...
« on: 16 Nov 2022, 13:59 »
...and it's past time to get the winter cover on.

Sea Simon

Re: I suppose this means sailing season is over...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2022, 18:47 »
Yes, My sailing season also over...and it's  14 C here!

That CLH trailer has some interesting,  and desirable  mods over my 2016 version.

What boat? What year?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

emf

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2022, 00:09 »
That's Awelon, BRe #101, which we've had for just over a year.  The trailer is stock CLH, and works well except for the tail bar lights which were incandescent instead of LED, rattled loose, and the bar crushed against the frame rails from road vibration.  Took some epoxy and bar bottom strengthening to fix, and it's been fine since midsummer.

I heard from Swallow that they are no longer sending CLH trailers to the US because some states won't allow them to be registered.  They trailers are EU certified, but not US DOT.  I did fine in Vermont, thankfully, they just wanted the registration fee...

We love the BRe, sails well, gracious cockpit for taking friends along, quick to set up and take down.  Lovely.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2022, 08:14 »
If you ever get fed up with your winch or it falls apart and needs replacing, I strongly recommend this US-made(?) Fulton winch https://www.fultonperformance.com/product/fw32000101_two-speed-trailer-winch.  For about $190, not only is it two speed, making boat retrieval less heart-bursting, but its enclosed gear design banishes chewed winch strap misery. 

Over here in the UK, a select few Swallows have been happy to do personal imports from the US.  We’ve incurred extra import and courier costs to have something that almost makes winching a pleasure.  Better still, substitute a Dyneema winch line for the supplied strap and feed it through a self-centring low friction eye on a strop close to the winch.  Then winching is easy, the boat comes up on the trailer straight (more or less) and you have something that raises your trailer to the next level.

The dog in the photo looks unhappy about something…..
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III