Author Topic: Perfection Plus Varnish International Yacht Paints  (Read 1489 times)

garethrow

If there is anyone out there who, like me, favours the use of IYP Perfection Plus 2 pot varnish, you may be disappointed to hear that IYP have recently 'retired' this product. I have no idea why, but there are some stocks left amongst stockists at present. It would appear that IYP have replaced it with a similar product, Perfection Pro, but this is only supposed to be available to professional users - whatever that means.

Gareth Rowlands
Ex Storm 17 Gwennol Teifi
BR20 Halen Y Mor GRP

Matthew P

Re: Perfection Plus Varnish International Yacht Paints
« Reply #1 on: 05 Dec 2022, 09:30 »
Hi Gareth       
Have you tried Teamac paints and varnishes?  See https://www.teamac.co.uk/products/category/varnishes-oils/p101-2-pack-polyurethane-varnish.  I've found Teamac gives good results and two years ago gave me friendly and practical technical advice, even for small orders.  I have no commercial connection with this company.

The most useful articles I've read on varnishing and finishing is https://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/marine-varnish.html?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=boatbuilder-update-newsletters&utm_content=BBU%3A+Varnishing%2C+November+8+No+Group together with much else useful information.

The most practical advice I've had (on this forum  :D) is that the best varnish is white paint, and I agree for places like boat interiors and decks but vanity still compels me to varnish or stain gunwales, transoms and other boat-blingy areas.

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Sea Simon

International Yacht Paints changes to range?
« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec 2022, 13:57 »
Worth checking your preferred International  paint/antifouling is/will be still available. Range rationalisation  underway I'm  told.

I've been looking  for white Micron 33 which apparently is also now discontinued as "too toxic for new EU regs".

Had to change to Seajet Emperor at £125 for 2.5 ltrs....plus the inevitable "special" primer, of course.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

garethrow

Re: Perfection Plus Varnish International Yacht Paints
« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2022, 15:50 »
Thanks Matthew - no I haven't tried Teamac, but may do so once I can no longer get IYP Perfection  plus. The price seems comparable. My only grip with IYP is that their tins seem sub standard and dificult to get sealed once opened.

Gareth Rowlands
Ex S17 Gwennol Teifi
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor