Author Topic: Cooking on a BRe  (Read 1966 times)

Willie The Rut Lander

Cooking on a BRe
« on: 30 Nov 2022, 16:04 »
I recently acquired BRe 001 from the Rushtons (formerly Grace, now Sannah). Although I have not sailed her in anger yet, beyond a trial sail on Rutland Water, I’m planning ahead and, ideally, I’d like to find a way to safely make a hot drink while on a passage. As I already have a very old (50+ years) but perfectly serviceable Primus plus a modern Jet Boil, I’d like to use at least one of these for this purpose.
My initial idea is to make a small cooking box (a-la Roger Barnes’s) using the modern equivalent of chemistry lab burner mats cloaked in thin marine play. I think it could be firmly slotted on top of the centreboard housing using elastics clipped to Seasure-type lacing hooks located on the underside of the casing’s wooden flange. Make sense?
I am sure boiling water on varnished wood is not a great idea so would also need to find a way to soak up any accidental overspill.
Of course, I could make a coffee prior to the passage and just use a thermos but I’d still like to find a way to cook safely at anchor.
Please help refine my idea, suggest a better alternative or slap me down as appropriate.
As an aside, I know Roger does not recommend paraffin stoves for dinghies as he correctly points out they can flare-up during the priming process. However, I think priming the Primus using a cook’s modern butane blow torch will avoid that issue, as the pre-heating process would be vastly improved compared to the trad method of burning meths.
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Cooking on a BRe
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2022, 17:36 »
Matthew started a long thread on stoves that can be found here: https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1305.0.html.  It includes (towards the bottom of page 1) a nifty idea from Jonathan (with photo) to improve stove stability when using a BRe thwart as a cooking base.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Willie The Rut Lander

« Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2022, 11:43 »
Thanks Graham

Indeed, that is a very useful thread. Consequently, for passages I think I will initially restrict myself to a Jetboil mounted on the rowing thwart - which had not crossed my mind (as it's packed away out of sight). It should be really easy to do that. I'll restrict my Primus to cooking on land. My son thinks a Primus is from the dark ages and refuses to use it but, as pointed out in the thread, it is probably more efficient than any other option and if treated with respect can be well behaved.
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

Ged

« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2022, 17:13 »
I have a three legged gas stove and carry an aluminium disc for it to sit on... light simple and packs away very small.  If used carefully a C500 gas canister will cook all food and drinks for 2 people for a week.

If you've got a jetboil then this company make a gimbal for it 
https://www.safire.uk.com/store/Stable-Stove-compact-B-jetboil-gimbal-stove-bracket-p25243476

I know galley boxes are popular but I think they are a bit cumbersome, there is a whole world of nesting camping pots that are really light and much neater, I carry my main stove and a tiny spare stove, a titanium kettle, two bowls, two spoons, a heat shield and a pot cosy in a pan that is 6" diameter and 6" tall.  A small round tupperware pot contains a knife, two stainless steel whisky glasses, washing up liquid, pan scrubber and wiping cloth, it all fits easily in a 5 litre dry bag. 

Although space and weight are much more restricted on my boat.
Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 09 Dec 2022, 17:43 »
I bought an HPV Salsa single burner stove for the boat from Germany and quickly discovered that I had made a big mistake.  See here for the reason why https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,2579.0.html.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2022, 18:59 »
It it because the pan is shallow and the alcohol can slop over the edge?

Exactly - the pan is very shallow. Not a problem on land but I decided not a good idea on a tippy boat.
Graham