Author Topic: The time is near.....  (Read 3493 times)

RogerLennard

The time is near.....
« on: 12 Dec 2022, 20:42 »
Hello everyone,
just over a week until I go to pick up my new BR20 from Swallow Yachts.

Could you please help me find some suitable insurance? I always used Craftinsure for my Wayfarer and never looked around to check out the competition.

Does insurance generally cover the boat when being trailed behind my car?

Any hot tips on how to get home from Cardigan to Derby safely with my boat?

All advice greatly received from all of you Swallow Yachts gurus.

Philip L

Re: The time is near.....
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2022, 15:25 »
I have found Craft Insure to be the most competitive for a BC23.
The boat is covered by your car insurance while towing.  I contacted my insurers (Direct Line) to let them know I would be towing a boat.  They informed me that a tow bar was a standard modification that I didn't need to declare on my policy but perhaps best to check your policy for exclusions. 
https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car gives information on the law while towing -  I expect that with a BR20 you will be within limits but a search of the forum will take you to other posts about the 750kg limit with an unbraked trailer (https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=557).  Does Matt provide a braked trailer for the BR20?
Have you bought any towing mirrors?  They may be required by law unless your vehicle is wider than the boat and make driving safer.  Milenco are regarded as a good make.
The above link in the forum details route issues and the Philip's atlas (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Navigator-Camping-Caravanning-Britain/dp/1849075700) provides information for width restrictions.  In practice, I didn't find any issues following Google Maps on my iPhone back to Manchester from Gwbert.
Otherwise, allow yourself plenty of time, pull in to let cars past whenever you can safely so that you don't feel pressured to drive too quickly and have a practice reversing in the yard before you leave. 
Last piece of advice, take a camera to the yard to take lots of photos when they go through the rigging with you.  It is hard to remember after!
I can feel your excitement building!
BC 23 Saphira

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2022, 16:24 »
After about 10 miles and again after 50-100 miles, pull over and check that everything is OK with the trailer.  In particular, check that the wheel nuts are firmly screwed on as they have a nasty habit of coming undone when brand new.  I nearly lost a wheel that way not long after having had the trailer newly converted from unbraked to braked.

Take a wheel brace, a decent jack, a tool box and some lumps of wood for use as chocks.  Also a tyre pump with pressure gauge if you have one.  I agree with Philip - the Milenco Aero trailering mirrors are excellent. The mirror clamp pads, which cost very little, tend to go walkabout and it's worth getting a pair of spares at the same time as the mirrors.

I have an elderly 1.4L Golf and on motorways set the cruise control at just over 50mph.  That means that lorries overtake me rather than vice versa.  A slower speed is better for the car, for fuel consumption and for your blood pressure.  Unless you're crossing continents, it really doesn't add much to journey times.  Listen to an audiobook or BBC Sounds to wile away the time.

Good luck!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

Re: The time is near.....INSURANCE
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2022, 16:30 »
I always found Noble Marine to be very good for my BREx, including several quite expensive racing claims (not all my fault!) On racing dinghies, none on BREx. Recommended.

NM Not at all competitive on the BC 26 tho. Perhaps too much of a yot, rather than a dinghy?

BC26, best deal was Haven Knox Johnson. As long as I limit myself to racing only in smaller local regattas etc. Otherwise started to get expensive and fussy re surveys etc.
No ARC rally, not even Cowes week for me ;) so check cover for Sail Caledonia and the like (with a trailed boat, of course) if you plan on any significant events.
Strangely enough, "Cruising area" is far wider than that with which I feel safe/comfortable  on a 26ft boat. I won't  be utilising  my Baltic Sea cover!

Not sure where a BR20, or indeed BC 23 might fit? Read the small print carefully.

I've  towed Bristol to Derby many times (Hartleys dinghy builders in Derby), sometimes via Blackpool return. The M5_M6 is no fun, and GW gives good advice about the inevitable lorries, towing mirrors, tools etc.
Presumably  you have a spare wheel?
With a more powerful diesel 4×4 (and a lighter boat!) I'd  set my adaptive cruise control at minimum offset distance and 59.99999 mph, like most trucks seem to, and go with the flow...
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Nicky R

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2022, 21:47 »
If you’re towing to Derby, you will probably want to do the cross country route from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth. We went that way with our new 23. It felt narrow, particularly as we were used to towing a BRE, but there wasn’t anything problematic on that route. Just think carefully about fuel stations. We pulled into one at Ponterwyd, and it was a bit touch and go about whether we made it round the corner to get out of it again. Luckily Mark is pretty good at driving with trailers - I'd still have been there if I was towing on my own!

We’ve always used NM for insurance. They may not be the cheapest, but like Simon, we’ve always found them to be very good when we’ve made claims for racing dinghies. Don’t think we’ve had to claim for the Swallows.

One thing to think about is breakdown cover. Some of the companies have limits on trailer length. The BR20 might be ok, the 23 definitely isn’t. We’re with AA which says it doesn’t have a maximum length. (I made them confirm it in an email, just in case they changed their mind when they saw the boat!)

Good luck with it all. I hope you really enjoy her when you get her, and that you don’t have to wait too long for nice weather so you can try her out.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

RogerLennard

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2022, 10:24 »
Thank you for your replies. Lots of useful information here. I think I shall fill my fuel tank to the max when in Cardigan to avoid needing to fill up. The weather is looking warmer with a spot of rain for next week, when I pick her up.

I'm not getting too far on the insurance. Craftinsure can't give me an instant quote and I am waiting to hear from them. Noble Marine want £280, which seems a bit steep.
I have had a quote from Insure4boats and that was around £180.

Sea Simon

Re: The time is near.....INSURANCE
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2022, 11:21 »
My BRE at NM was about £190, with 5 years or more NCD. Have you any transferable NCD?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

RogerLennard

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2022, 12:58 »
I had insurance on my Wayfarer but I sold that boat in the spring.

RogerLennard

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2022, 13:22 »
I've just looked out seven consecutive renewal certificates from Craftinsure. This goes up to Feb 2022. I wonder if that would be acceptable as proof of no claims?

RogerLennard

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2022, 21:18 »
Good news! Craftinsure sorted out my insurance for £125.

RogerLennard

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2022, 16:11 »
I am now the proud owner of Bayraider 116. It was a wet 190 mile journey back from Cardigan Bay. The team at Swallow Yachts were superb.

Sea Simon

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2022, 20:11 »
Well done, congrats!
...From Oct 22.

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2022, 19:29 »
What a great Christmas present that will give you so much enjoyment for many years and I can assure you that you will often say “best investment you have made” as you glide over the water.
At first keep the ballast tanks full and sail under canvassed until you get the “feel of her “, I can assure you she will always look after you.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

RogerLennard

« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2022, 19:02 »
I want to make a 'sock' for the jib and mizzen. Can anyone tell me the size and type of zip I need please? Also, where in the UK can I source them from?
I am probably going to buy some acrylic canvas (600D) to make the socks with. Is that a good idea?