Author Topic: Insurance for BREx  (Read 3291 times)

David Moss

Insurance for BREx
« on: 08 Jan 2023, 22:33 »
Good evening, we are in the UK, and about to receive a new Bay Raider expedition.
Could you please advise on which insurance company you use?
Are there number of choices? Many thanks, David

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Insurance for BREx
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2023, 07:34 »
There are a number of options. I always used Craftinsure and found them competetive on cost and the service was good, but I never had to make a claim. I'm sure others will have different recommendations. There have also been topics on this in the past, so if you search for insurance then you should find those conversations.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

RogerLennard

« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2023, 20:10 »
Hello,
I collected a new Bayraider 20 just before Christmas and took out insurance from Craftinsure. They gave me the lowest quote of all the insurance firms I contacted. I've always found them to be good on price but have never yet had to make a claim.

Julian Merson

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2023, 19:12 »
Another Craftinsure customer, yet to make a claim and hoping it stays that way.  It was the cheapest quote.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2023, 16:06 »
I’ve been insured with Noble Marine forever and have never claimed.  Yesterday, out of idle curiosity, I asked for a quote from Craftinsure.  They automatically referred me over to a company called Velos Insurance Services, which sounds like it ought to be something to do with bicycles.  Anyway, their quote was nearly 25% higher than Noble Marine at £252.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Julian Merson

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2023, 19:36 »
Interesting.  Mine is a 'pleasurecraft' insurance through Navigators & General.  Last quote, summer '22, was £162 with an excess of £150.  I just applied through the Craftinsure website.  Very straightforward indeed.
Deben Lugger ‘Daisy IV’

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2023, 15:32 »
Possible reasons for my higher premium could include an expensive electrical outboard (an eProp), rather a lot of electronic gadgetry, an inflatable dinghy, ticking the 'occasional racing' box and insuring for legal expenses.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

David Moss

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2023, 23:04 »
Thank you very much everybody for responding so candidly. Most helpful, I’m looking forward to being told when our boat will be ready. Anticipating a good season.