Swallow Yachts Forum > Sailing and Events

Llyn Tegid (Lake Bala) Pop-up Meeting Tuesday 2nd May 2023

(1/1)

Matthew P:
Lake Bala (Llyn Tegid) is in mid-Wales and is a beautiful to sail about 3 miles long by 0.5 miles wide with several quiet places to picnic. The town slipway has public toilets and changing room and the Loch Cafe sells tasty ice creams.

This will be an informal one day meeting at Bala town slipway at the North Western corner of Llyn Tegid (Lake Bala) near the Bala Adventure and Watersports Centre on the A494. https://goo.gl/maps/xGfwBfsdpjkPatBT7

Boat launching permits can be obtained from the annoyingly inefficient credit card operated carpark meters or the Lake Wardens office.  Day costs used to be £4 for a car plus £4 for a boat - this may have increased. Please bring evidence of 3rd party insurance. You can use an electric motor but fossil-fuelled motors are not permitted. 

I'll be sailing my BR17, Tarika.  Andrew might bring Apus, his shiny new BRe.  Normally I arrive about 10am, launch about 11.00am and pack up about 4pm.

Email me at matthewdca3359@gmail.com if you are coming or want further information.

Please note that participants are entirely responsible for their own safety, equipment and costs.

Matthew 

Graham W:
For those that don’t know it, Bala is stunning and a really great day out.  Think the Lake District on a smaller scale.  It can get quite deep and there are some seriously big Lake Trout living in it, which you may be lucky enough to see jumping.  There is also a species of herring-like whitefish, the Gwyniad, which is left over from the last Ice Age.  Unfortunately I won’t be able to go but it’s very highly recommended.

Ape Ears:
Thanks Matthew for taking photos of the event. A grand day out.

Picture of 'Apus' in action.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version