Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

Mizzen self tacking

(1/2) > >>

Conor:
Hi

Please forgive the daft question, after a long search I am now the new owner of a BR20 and am trying to understand some of the idiosyncrasies of the Bayraider set up. I get the impression that a lot of customisations have happened since the rigging instructions were written. At the moment I am hoping to understand the self-tacking mizzen arrangement.

In the rigging instructions it looks like the mizzen sheet simply passes through an eye on the boom, which make sense to allow the boom to tack. However, first time out it seemed to get itself stuck in some odd positions and needed to be wrestled back into position.

It looks like most boats have a knot in the sheet below the boom, effectively preventing the boom from moving along the sheet. My daft question is: Doesn't this stop the mizzen from self tacking?

Thanks for any advice, in particular any pics of rigging done well. I hope to see some of you on the water soon

garethrow:
Conor

You are correct in assuming that there are various modifications undertaken by owners - each to their own taste. I believe the standard from the yard (which is what mine is), is to have a snap hook tied in the middle of the running sheet that clips onto the hoop on the mizzen sprit boom. This does not prevent self tacking. The other fairly standard arangment on the mizzen sheets is to have a sizeable stopper knot inside the jamming cleat at a point which allows the sail to go to nearly 90 degrees out (as per running) but no further. Without this it is easy to let too much sheet out and once the sail has gone beyind the 90 degree mark - you have your wrestling match to persuade ot to get back where it belongs!

I hope this helps and no doubt there will be other replies.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 GRP Halen Y Mor, ex S17 Gwennol Teifi

Graham W:
Conor,

Congratulations on your purchase.

You don’t say how old your BR20 is but standard mizzen rigging probably hasn’t changed over the years.  So this BR20 manual in the library from 2010 is likely to be still relevant https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=251.  On page 15 there’s a photo of the hook set up that Gareth describes.

Once you’ve mastered the sheeting arrangements, you may want to consider reversing the mizzen  outhaul, as described here https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,1216.msg8609.html#msg8609.

Alternative mizzen sheeting arrangements are described in this article in the library https://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=790.

Conor:
We had our first proper sail yesterday with 3 sails and even with 3 up and water ballast was wre very impressed with how she moved.

Thank you both for the advice and information. I think I will be gradually tweaking the configuration as I get used to her. By the way she is a 2010 BR20 called Proper Job, bought from a member of the forum.

I have tried the clip knotted to the mizzen sheet, but it doesn't seem to be able to self tack. For example if I have the windward sheet cleated so that the mizzen is 45 degrees to leeward, it feels like the leeward sheet should be pulled tight to stop the mizzen boom rising up kind of acting as a kicker I guess). If I then tack the mizzen will now be stuck at 45 degrees to windward.

I am guessing for it to be self tacking both sheets would have to be set to be 45 degrees ? But as this means one of the sheets would always be slack this seems to cause the boom to rise up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I also have 2 rubber loops on the jib boom and two attachments on the main boom ( astral with an eyelet in it and a rope in two loops) that I haven't figured out the purpose of yet, so any advice there would also be appreciated.

garethrow:
Sounds like you had a good sail Conor.

'Self tacking' is more relevant when beating with both mizzen sheets reasonably tight, the mizzen will look after itself. Once you are reaching / running, a certain amount of adjustment after each tack will usually be required. I believe the mizzen rising up in stonger winds is a common problem and I'll leave others to comment on countering this.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor ex S17 Gwennol Teifi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version