Swallow Yachts Forum > Technical

How should this be repaired?

(1/2) > >>

RogerLennard:
Hello everyone,
I am enjoying my BR20 immensely. However, there is an issue with the woodwork that needs resolving. The wooden strip that runs around the boat has a weak spot. It has opened up once and been repaired by Swallow Yachts, who bent over backwards to come and sort it out. Unfortunately, the crack has opened up again. Can anyone please tell me what needs to be done here to make a permanent repair? Have you had similar problems?

Llafurio:
I had similar after a collision.

: Clean out old scarf joint, inject Resorcinol or epoxy, for pressure screw wooden strip over it while setting. Fill up holes and roughness after, and sand down.

No guarantee for "permanence" though. But I am sure I would experiment until I have it fixed "good enough" for good.
C.

Graham W:
Roger,

You obviously don’t want to draw attention to the mended flaw by using stainless screws permanently to hold one flap onto the other once they've been glued together.  However, a couple of wooden dowels, secured horizontally with epoxy into parts of the flaps that have sufficient depth to hold them, might make the mend a little more permanent.  The protruding dowel ends can be cut and sanded flush and then stained the same colour as the surrounding wood.

It’s difficult to tell from the photo the position of the split - port foredeck?  If it’s where you might damage the wood as you bring your anchor chain in over the side, you have a good excuse to add a stainless steel rubbing strip to “protect” the wood where the split is.  Or if you don’t want to use metal, a sacrificial wooden strip, shaped and stained to blend in.  It will need replacing every few years.

Peter Cockerton:

--- Quote from: RogerLennard on 28 May 2023, 07:25 ---Hello everyone,
I am enjoying my BR20 immensely. However, there is an issue with the woodwork that needs resolving. The wooden strip that runs around the boat has a weak spot. It has opened up once and been repaired by Swallow Yachts, who bent over backwards to come and sort it out. Unfortunately, the crack has opened up again. Can anyone please tell me what needs to be done here to make a permanent repair? Have you had similar problems?

--- End quote ---

Roger

This is a 2022 boat, don’t put yourself in a position where you might invalidate the warranty, get it back to the yard for a professional job which will be guaranteed by the yard.

Peter C

RogerLennard:
Lots of good advice as ever. Thank you all. I shall see what Swallow Yachts suggest, as I don't want to invalidate my warranty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version