Author Topic: Launching River Dart  (Read 7828 times)

Conor

Launching River Dart
« on: 29 May 2023, 20:32 »
Hi

We are hoping to visit the Dart area in August and wandering if anyone had any advice that could help.

In particular any information on where to launch, moor and/or store trailers would be very useful, but any ideas on other practicalities or good places to visit by boat would also be very welcome.

Cheers!
New BR 20 sailor

RogerLennard

Re: Launching River Dart
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2023, 12:32 »
Hello, as another new BR20 sailor, I am also hoping to be down in that part of Devon in August. I am therefore following this post with great interest.

Willie The Rut Lander

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2023, 17:17 »
Hi Conor
I launched from Blackness Marine, just north of Dittisham last month. It's quite expensive but should be accessible at any tide state and has a pontoon adjacent to the slipway. The rigging area (by the slipway) is up a steep shingle track so you may need a powerful 4x4 to access it. Alternatively, speak with the office and ask if you can rig at the top of the hill. We then put my BRe on a visitor mooring by the Ferry Boat Inn in Dittisham and, because we were too lazy to inflate the tender, used the rather expensive water taxi (£3 ppew) to get us ashore. I think it runs from 0900-1800.
There is also Galmpton on the east bank but that is quite tidal. There are also many other options.
BTW - The lanes to Blackness are typical of South Devon, i.e. bleedin' narrow, so get some reversing practice in, particularly if arriving during rush hour. Don't try to access Blackness directly from Dittisham, as my reccie patrol (aka crew) said it was impossible.
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2023, 10:55 »
Member Mark Darley,  (new BC23 "Foxwhelp" and a BC 20) is Dart based.

Hopefully, he'll  be along in a mo to help?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Conor

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2023, 21:17 »
Hi

Thanks for the  advice and thoughts. We will likely be on the east side. I exchanged emails with Dolphin Marine  at Galmpton who were very helpful so they are looking like a good option.
New BR 20 sailor

Mary Elk

« Reply #5 on: 09 Jun 2023, 15:00 »
Hi - late addition here. 

We've launched from Blackness Marine, Galmpton and Totnes - Blackness is fine, but getting to it is dreadfull - several VERY steep hills with no passing places.  Our 2 ltr diesel struggled in some places.   Galmpton is easier to get to (still Devon lanes, but less of them and not as steep).  Galmpton does propperly dry out on low tides though.

Totnes is actually OK - assuming there is space for the trailer in the rear spaces (where caravans overnight). 
Most South Hams car parks have a 5m limit on trailers - a costly lesson learned at Kingsbridge - but Longmarsh in Totnes, where the splipway is, is good and we have left it overnight (paying via ring-go).  Totnes has best road access. 

Enjoy it - almost always seals on the river these days.

Conor

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2023, 16:32 »
Thank you!
New BR 20 sailor