Swallow Yachts Forum > Sailing and Events

Launching River Dart

(1/2) > >>

Conor:
Hi

We are hoping to visit the Dart area in August and wandering if anyone had any advice that could help.

In particular any information on where to launch, moor and/or store trailers would be very useful, but any ideas on other practicalities or good places to visit by boat would also be very welcome.

Cheers!

RogerLennard:
Hello, as another new BR20 sailor, I am also hoping to be down in that part of Devon in August. I am therefore following this post with great interest.

Willie The Rut Lander:
Hi Conor
I launched from Blackness Marine, just north of Dittisham last month. It's quite expensive but should be accessible at any tide state and has a pontoon adjacent to the slipway. The rigging area (by the slipway) is up a steep shingle track so you may need a powerful 4x4 to access it. Alternatively, speak with the office and ask if you can rig at the top of the hill. We then put my BRe on a visitor mooring by the Ferry Boat Inn in Dittisham and, because we were too lazy to inflate the tender, used the rather expensive water taxi (£3 ppew) to get us ashore. I think it runs from 0900-1800.
There is also Galmpton on the east bank but that is quite tidal. There are also many other options.
BTW - The lanes to Blackness are typical of South Devon, i.e. bleedin' narrow, so get some reversing practice in, particularly if arriving during rush hour. Don't try to access Blackness directly from Dittisham, as my reccie patrol (aka crew) said it was impossible.

Sea Simon:
Member Mark Darley,  (new BC23 "Foxwhelp" and a BC 20) is Dart based.

Hopefully, he'll  be along in a mo to help?

Conor:
Hi

Thanks for the  advice and thoughts. We will likely be on the east side. I exchanged emails with Dolphin Marine  at Galmpton who were very helpful so they are looking like a good option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version