Author Topic: Storm 17 panel kit build Heybridge Nr Maldon.  (Read 16598 times)

Dr Phil Ward

Storm 17 panel kit build Heybridge Nr Maldon.
« on: 31 Jul 2010, 10:10 »
Material costs resins etc.

I have researched material costs on the internet and have the following which seem competitive, I have quoted for a C pack of West System resin and hardner even though Matt reccomends 3 B packs, as a first time builder I expect to use more resin than normal, the Cpack isn't that much more cost than 3 Bpacks and there is nearly twice the resin quantity and also I have boatbuilder friends in Heybridge who I am sure I can sell any excess I have at this price !
Shipping is 16£, these prices need vAT adding at 17.5% I have also purchased a mini scale on eBAY 1000grams by 0.1 gram at £9.
Costs:

Product Quantity Sub Total:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEST SYSTEM 403 Microfibres-150g tub
SKU:    £4.88

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEST SYSTEM Epoxy Resin 105/205 30 Kg - C pack
SKU:    £265.00

6 oz Glassfibre cloth - 762mm wide-10 - 99 mt
SKU:    £25.50

Fibreglass Tape - 175g x 75 mm-50m roll
SKU:    £21.30

1" wooden handle brushes-Box of 12
SKU:    £2.95

1/2" wooden handle brushes-Box of 12
SKU:    £2.20

2" wooden handle brushes-Box of 12
SKU:    £4.98

Latex Gloves 100 Large-Pack of 100
SKU:    £3.99

Acetone-500 Ml Tin
SKU:    £5.70

1” 3M Masking Tape-1 roll
SKU:    £8.50

Syringes-5 Ml
SKU:    £1.10

Syringes-10 Ml
SKU:    £1.50

Syringes-50 Ml
SKU:    £2.76

9 OZ Paper Cup-Bag of 50
SKU:    £3.75

22 OZ Paper Cup-Bag of 50
SKU:    £4.75

2kg Bag cloths.
SKU:    £6.95

Sub Total:   £365.81 
Shipping: Calculated During Checkout  £16
Tax:  Calculated During Checkout  vat at 17.5%

Total £448.60
Phil

Jeremy

Re: Storm 17 panel kit build Heybridge Nr Maldon.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2010, 11:02 »
The costs quickly add up, don't they?

Although the mini scales are extremely useful for very small quantities (I have one similar to yours, covered in cling film to stop it getting gunged up) I have found that the West pump dispensers are far quicker and easier to use most of the time.  I always use the pumps for anything more than half a yogurt cup full of resin, but tend to use the scale for smaller mixes, as the pumps can have a slight dead space on the first stroke.

West changed the design of the pumps relatively recently and the new ones (with the thinner bore pickup pipe) seem to be significantly better that the old ones that were made to fit the plastic resin containers.

You may want to look at getting some 206 hardener in this warm weather.  I nearly had a small pot of resin catch fire last weekend when the 205 fast hardener caused it to cure in around 5 minutes (it was probably around 28 to 30 deg C in my workshop at the time, though).

Jeremy

Dr Phil Ward

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2010, 15:33 »
Hi Jeremy-you are right costs soon add up!

I intende to use slow hardner option as I am a slow worker and will only be working on the boat in the milder months as my workshop is only a lean to,

regards
Phil

Dr Phil Ward

« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2010, 21:44 »
Cut scarfs after much thought and cogitation and checks still managed to cut two the wrong way round-this is easy to do be careful! I am now going to scarf pices on to wrong ones and then scarf them again the opposite side!

Dr Phil Ward

« Reply #4 on: 03 Aug 2010, 21:48 »
Tools for scarfs

Dr Phil Ward

« Reply #5 on: 04 Aug 2010, 17:26 »
Update on material costs:

After working out what I really need as to what I would like, I returned to two suppliers and eventually achieved the following deal, which I have now ordered:

1 C-pack West system epoxy, 30Kg, standard hardner.
750 grams West system micro fibres.
2 rolla of 50metre by 75mm wide 170gram fibre glass tape
5 litres of Acetone
10 metre of 170 gram glass cloth 762mm wide.

all for the magnificent sum of £364 in vat and delivery and three west squeegees thrown in-good vlaue I think.

Phil

Jeremy

« Reply #6 on: 05 Aug 2010, 07:00 »
Phil,

Those prices look pretty good to me.  There are a couple of observations though.   I have found isopropyl alcohol or industrial vinegar to be better at removing epoxy (and much, much kinder to your hands) than acetone.  Acetone is excellent for removing polyester and vinylester resins, but less effective on epoxy, in my experience, and much nastier, as it will attack a wide range of plastics very vigorously.

Vinegar makes an excellent hand cleanser for epoxy and is reasonably benign in terms of environmental impact, although it stings like hell if you have any small cuts of grazes!

Also, as I mentioned above, you might want to consider 206 hardener, rather than the 205 standard hardener.  A mix made with the standard hardener (205) can have a short pot life in this warm weather, particularly if you mix more than about half a yoghurt pot full at a time (as I found out rather dramatically a couple of weeks ago).  I tend to use 206 exclusively and just put up with the extended cure time in the cooler weather.

Jeremy

Dr Phil Ward

« Reply #7 on: 06 Aug 2010, 19:57 »
Thanks Jeremy,
I should have checked Wikepaedia!
quote "
Quote from:  Vinegar is an excellent solvent for cleaning epoxy resin and hardener, even after the epoxy has begun to hardendate=1280567433

What does industrial vinegar mean 20% acetic?

I believe old pickle vinegar is 18% so I am starting to save that as well as yogurt pts and plastic milk bottles, scrap ply for mixing sticks etc.

Phil

Material costs resins etc.

I have researched material costs on the internet and have the following which seem competitive, I have quoted for a C pack of West System resin and hardner even though Matt reccomends 3 B packs, as a first time builder I expect to use more resin than normal, the Cpack isn't that much more cost than 3 Bpacks and there is nearly twice the resin quantity and also I have boatbuilder friends in Heybridge who I am sure I can sell any excess I have at t
Phil,

Those prices look pretty good to me. There are a couple of observations though. I have found isopropyl alcohol or industrial vinegar to be better at removing epoxy (and much, much kinder to your hands) than acetone. Acetone is excellent for removing polyester and vinylester resins, but less effective on epoxy, in my experience, and much nastier, as it will attack a wide range of plastics very vigorously.

Vinegar makes an excellent hand cleanser for epoxy and is reasonably benign in terms of environmental impact, although it stings like hell if you have any small cuts of grazes!

Also, as I mentioned above, you might want to consider 206 hardener, rather than the 205 standard hardener. A mix made with the standard hardener (205) can have a short pot life in this warm weather, particularly if you mix more than about half a yoghurt pot full at a time (as I found out rather dramatically a couple of weeks ago). I tend to use 206 exclusively and just put up with the extended cure time in the cooler weather.

Jeremy
his price !
Shipping is 16£, these prices need vAT adding at 17.5% I have also purchased a mini scale on eBAY 1000grams by 0.1 gram at £9.
Costs:

Product Quantity Sub Total:

WEST SYSTEM 403 Microfibres-150g tub
SKU:    £4.88

WEST SYSTEM Epoxy Resin 105/205 30 Kg - C pack
SKU:    £265.00

6 oz Glassfibre cloth - 762mm wide-10 - 99 mt
SKU:    £25.50

Fibreglass Tape - 175g x 75 mm-50m roll
SKU:    £21.30

1" wooden handle brushes-Box of 12
SKU:    £2.95

1/2" wooden handle brushes-Box of 12
SKU:    £2.20

2" wooden handle brushes-Box of 12
SKU:    £4.98

Latex Gloves 100 Large-Pack of 100
SKU:    £3.99

Acetone-500 Ml Tin
SKU:    £5.70

1” 3M Masking Tape-1 roll
SKU:    £8.50

Syringes-5 Ml
SKU:    £1.10

Syringes-10 Ml
SKU:    £1.50

Syringes-50 Ml
SKU:    £2.76

9 OZ Paper Cup-Bag of 50
SKU:    £3.75

22 OZ Paper Cup-Bag of 50
SKU:    £4.75

2kg Bag cloths.
SKU:    £6.95

Sub Total:   £365.81 
Shipping: Calculated During Checkout  £16
Tax:  Calculated During Checkout  vat at 17.5%

Total £448.60
Phil
Phil,

Those prices look pretty good to me. There are a couple of observations though. I have found isopropyl alcohol or industrial vinegar to be better at removing epoxy (and much, much kinder to your hands) than acetone. Acetone is excellent for removing polyester and vinylester resins, but less effective on epoxy, in my experience, and much nastier, as it will attack a wide range of plastics very vigorously.

Also, as I mentioned above, you might want to consider 206 hardener, rather than the 205 standard hardener. A mix made with the standard hardener (205) can have a short pot life in this warm weather, particularly if you mix more than about half a yoghurt pot full at a time (as I found out rather dramatically a couple of weeks ago). I tend to use 206 exclusively and just put up with the extended cure time in the cooler weather.

Jer