Author Topic: Storm 17 Heybridge, hull takes shape  (Read 15608 times)

Dr Phil Ward

Storm 17 Heybridge, hull takes shape
« on: 28 Aug 2010, 13:03 »
Hull pictures.

Dr Phil Ward

Re: Storm 17 Heybridge, hull takes shape
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2010, 18:09 »
Hull fully stitched

Chris Capener

« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2010, 22:43 »
Hi Phil,

Looking good - we seem to be at about the same stage, I am a week or so behind you I think.

I see you have wired the bulkheads in straight after the two bottom hull panels were in. I am doing it differently but have yet to fit my upper panels -after which I plan to try and pull the bulheads down into position. The "locked-in" stresses in the hull will differ slightly I  think.

Any advice you can give me here?

PS What is the signifcance of the kettle in one photo ? Any steaming? or just making a cup of tea

Regards

Chris

Dr Phil Ward

« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2010, 19:47 »
Hi Chris,

I put the bulkheads in at that stage as it was easy to do it and didn't take any windlass to fit them, as I put the two panels in after that it was easy to tie them in first at the bulkheads as i had no helper to hold the other ends-the panels rested on the aft edge of the bottem panels at one end  while I tied them to to the forward bulkhead, then went back and tied them to the aft bulkhead, then from the ends inward.The stain on the panels at the max radii looked very high so nas nsoon as I did it I poured boiling water over these points after fitting the midships spreader (holding the sides out rather than compressing them in) I also put in struts as you can see at bow and stern. This reduced the strain and enabled the bulkheads to be pulled down with spanish windlesses and stitching on the bulkheads without much force. Incidently the bulkheads did not fit all the alignment points exactly there were small gaps at some places but they were less than a few millimetres in size. To allign the edges of the panels I did not find driving a pan head screw in very successful but used small tabs of plywood screwed across the joins to be better. I have just finished taping one seam, a job I was not looking forward to as I was worried about using unthickened  resin in a fairly large quantity on a nearly vertical surface, but it went ok!
Phil

Chris Capener

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2011, 13:22 »
Hi - How is your build progressing?

I am now just about to glue the second outer gunwhale on my S17.

Rgds

Chris

PS: I have brought my epoxy hardenner into the house as the garage temp is now less than 10 deg and in similar conditions last winter I had crystals forming  which jammed my pump.

Julian Swindell

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2011, 11:26 »
I spent half a day last weekend clearing crystallised resin out of a pump. I nearly wrecked it when I lost track of the crucial ball bearing in the outlet. I don't know how it came out but it took a lot of ingenuity to get it back in again. Pump now works fine, but my workbench is a mess of resin puddles.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/