Author Topic: Semco  (Read 1244 times)

Nigel Baker

Semco
« on: 28 Feb 2024, 12:37 »
I have ordered one of the new Baycruiser 21 boats and it will be sail no 6, hopefully ready in mid-May. As I live on the banks of the Fal I may see some of you in July. Over the years I have had a succession of boats - Drascombe Luggers, Shrimpers, Crabber 22s - and have always faced the dilemma of what to put on the teak brightwork. I have used Deks Olje and Varnol - neither of which were very durable; Cetol which was very thin and ran everywhere when applying it, but it did a reasonable job and was what Cornish Crabbers used for years; Woodskin, much easier to apply, lasted quite well but made the wood very dark. Matt is suggesting three options: Danish oil, Woodskin or Semco. The inference is that Semco should allow the teak to stay lighter in colour. I know nothing of Semco and very little seems to have been written about it on the web. It was mentioned in a post some years ago but no one seems to have followed it up. So has anyone used Semco or have any views on it? Perhaps I should make clear that I will certainly put something on the brightwork rather than allow it to go grey. Many thanks

Ray S

Re: Semco
« Reply #1 on: 01 Mar 2024, 08:41 »
Just wondering - if you don't want to let the teak weather, and therefore need to use some kind of oil, what is the advantage of using teak over the standard utile?

DavidBotterill

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2024, 23:25 »
Nigel
Just seen your post, My BR17 has red cedar decking and I recently sanded off all the Deks Olje No1. A well known boat finisher recommended I use a clear Semco and I’m really pleased with the finish. It retains the natural colour and yet is water repellent. Easy to apply with good instructions sold with the can. David

MarkandMary

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2024, 15:37 »
Hi

Semco also gets my vote.  We have used it on various boats for the last 30 years.  Its easy to apply and quick to refresh each year (just did all the brightwork on my BRe this weekend in less than an hour to prep and apply.

The clear stuff is OK in the UK - but when we were in the US with a lot more sunshine the slightly pigmented versions worked better.

Mark
BRE 100 - "Petite Biere".  Dartmouth area.  Also Brixham Trawler B45 - "Pilgrim" and Merlin Rocket 3797 - "Fata Morgana"

david

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2024, 18:29 »
Hi, I had not run across the Brixham trawler before. It's a salty looking yacht.

David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Sea Simon

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2024, 13:20 »
At appx £45/ltr, I'm interested to know how durable it is?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.