Author Topic: Outboard Motor Lock  (Read 1765 times)

AndyB

Outboard Motor Lock
« on: 29 Feb 2024, 12:08 »
I was reminded by my insurance company that the outboard motor needed to be locked to the boat.

The BC26 has bolts and so  the normal locks don't apply.

I rang the insurance company and they suggested using a lock rather like those used on aluminium wheels on cars. You just need one.

So I thought you might like to know - I bought one from Force 4 for £50.00. Here is a picture of it
Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

TheOldDuffer

Re: Outboard Motor Lock
« Reply #1 on: 01 Mar 2024, 10:00 »
Unfortunately, I've read reports of thieves using a chainsaw to cut the motor off the transom. Still, if it encourages the insurance company to honour a claim, all to the good.

Though maybe, the insurance company would rather just pay for a replacement engine rather than both the engine and an expensive transom repair/replacement?
"Mostly Harmless": BRe 2022, sail No. 117, asymmetric, anchoring system, Coppercoated, grey with grey livery, Yamaha 6HP, stack pack, carbon boom and mizzen mast.

Sea Simon

Re: Outboard Motor Locks.
« Reply #2 on: 01 Mar 2024, 14:43 »
Your lock looks good AndyB.

Motorloc, of Barnstaple UK make excellent locks. I have a small slot lock (Honda 2.3, May fit E motors?) And an Atlantic slot lock for Honda 5 on BRe. It JUST fits!
Well made and really heavy duty.
They also make bolt locs, which may suit larger outboards, perhaps on Coast 250? A pal has these on a large Boston Whaler.

I also have a cordless angle grinder/disc cutter and a cordless recip saw, which with a "salvage  blade" will make short work of most things! The recip saw is relatively  quiet too...

I'd hope thieves would perhaps not bother with the well-mounted engines on the BR/E, as access is not the easiest? Certainly easier targets hereabouts.

However, I'd  definitely comply with your own insurance Co requirements!

What do the say about small/sexy E motors?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

AndyB

« Reply #3 on: 02 Mar 2024, 10:12 »
I think you need to make it difficult to remove items. It is a risk based game.

First level is to comply with your insurance so that should the worst happen you can re-build.
Second level is to make it difficult to sell when it has been taken
Third level is to remove the item.

I remove  my boat instrument displays every time I leave the boat. ( they are multi-use so there is a good reason :)). However I only lock the rudders in the cabin. You have to know the rudders can be easily removed to remove them, so if they aren't in sight... ( for a BC26)

If a person wants to remove an item they will and there is not much you can do to stop them hence complying with your insurance requirements.

To deter the theft of the engine further I have purchased from the Norfolk Constabulary a replacement for the cowling. This means another cowl will be required if the engine is stolen. The Constabulary has told me that they have never had an engine stolen when the replacement cowl is on ( this time last year).More effort as the real cowling needs putting on before you start it up.

I attach some details and how it looks on my boat.

Sea Simon - The company I am with requires the outboard to be locked to the boat in some manner. For those without bolts I have used a normal outboard lock.

Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

Sea Simon

« Reply #4 on: 02 Mar 2024, 15:07 »
Andy,

Agreed.

I would perhaps add a fourth.  Make it look like it's  not worth pinching/ has a low resale value.
I guess your cowl replacement is also this? Devon n Cornwall Police do similar, with similar reported success.

My "roughed up" Honda 2.3 now looks really grotty, but actually  is an excellent, generally v reliable machine.
I plastered it with SOLAS retrorefeclective tape, which also serves to deter by individualisation...and it is a b@stw@rd to peel off!
Tiny dory tender (Tehri 9ft) is actually quite an expensive boat...but it now doesn't look it!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.