Author Topic: Cornish Crabbers receivership  (Read 1344 times)

Nigel Baker

Cornish Crabbers receivership
« on: 11 Mar 2024, 21:27 »
I learned today from the chap who bought my Crabber 22 last summer that it is being reported that Cornish Crabbers has called in receivers/administrators. Peter Thomas, their managing director, bought the company out of receivership when it last failed, which I think was around 2008. I ordered my Crabber 22 in 2010 and by then they were already in full production again. In the last couple of years they moved from their premises at Rock to an industrial estate in Wadebridge, and a smaller facility down on the Camel banks. I visited that in May and all seemed well with various Shrimpers in build. They have produced many good boats over the years but all their models had become enormously expensive. It is very sad news for the boat building industry and especially for their skilled labour force.
I do have to say however that when I visited them last May about putting my Crabber 22 on brokerage, and potentially buying another boat that they had on brokerage,  they seemed so disinterested that I advertised my 22 privately and sold it within a week. I felt they had become a little complacent. But sad news.

Nigel Baker

Re: Cornish Crabbers receivership
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2024, 21:35 »
To be precise, MarineBusinessNews has reported that Peter Thomas has called a meeting of creditors to discuss the winding up of the partnership, and this would include the appointment of a liquidator by their creditors.

Willie The Rut Lander

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2024, 09:32 »
Very sad if they go under - lovely boats.
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

Nicky R

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2024, 21:27 »
It is very sad. I was brought up sailing them, as my parents worked their way up from a shrimper, to a crabber (very cramped for the 5 of us in my teenage years), finally ending up with a pilot cutter. (Sadly that’s now up for sail as my parents are too old for it and it’s too big for us and we don’t want a boat that has to be based in one place.) Whilst Crabbers are not what I’d want now, it was that background plus spending my 20's and 30's racing  high performance dinghies, that made swallows a perfect boat for us. I really hope that they are able to carry on.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Sea Simon

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

Re: Cornish Crabbers receivership....Liquidation
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2024, 19:54 »
More info here, on the owners forum (hosted/operated by builders. Legacy issues?).
...and perhaps some food for thought?

https://cornishcrabbersclub.ning.com/forum/topics/cc-in-trouble
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Sea Simon

What a shame, how sad.

"IMPORTANT Cornish Crabbers Club News

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately I have some very bad news regarding the Crabbers Club Ning site and forum ( cornishcrabbersclub.ning.com )
Following on from Cornish Crabbers going into voluntary liquidation it is most likley that the whole of our Ning site will disappear in a very few days. Our site was owned and inextricably linked to CC LLP. The CC LLP site has already closed and ours is due to follow.

On a positive note our Cornish Crabbers Club website ( cornishcrabbersclub.co.uk ) will continue for the foreseeable future,"
...From Oct 22.