Author Topic: Full cover repair  (Read 417 times)

TheOldDuffer

Full cover repair
« on: 15 Mar 2024, 15:12 »
Just been down to the boat and noticed that the mast hardware had worn holes in the cover. Does anyone pad the mast hardware before putting on the cover?

I’ve emailed the supplier to gain some offcuts for repair patches: waiting to hear. Any ideas as to reinforcing these wear points?
"Mostly Harmless": BRe 2022, sail No. 117, asymmetric, anchoring system, Coppercoated, grey with grey livery, Yamaha 6HP, stack pack, carbon boom and mizzen mast.

Nicky R

Re: Full cover repair
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2024, 21:10 »
We had this issue on our BRE covers and our 23 cover. We ended up padding the mast to stop it happening. We are currently using bubble wrap, but have used carpet underlay in the past. Anything that the cover rubs against can wear through, so we’ve also protected the corners of our mast crutch and the fittings on the spray hood hoop.

I don’t know what the sail makers will recommend for the repair. On the BRE we used ducksback RIB covers as that’s what she came with. They were cheap but didn’t last for many years. We kept the old ones and used the areas that were less exposed to UV to mend the newer ones when they wore through. That way we could get 2-3 years use out of each cover. It was cheaper to replace them that frequently than to buy the official swallow cover.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2024, 22:16 »
On my BR20 I rotate the mast round 90 degrees so the luff track faces up and the stainless pointy tabs face down. No cover damaging bits on my mast then to worry about.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Sea Simon

Re: Full cover repair. Mast padding protection, securing
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2024, 08:29 »
I used a large tarp of the kind used on scaffolding, as an overall winter cover on BRe. Semi transparent,  with reinforcement mesh.
This allows you to work inside the boat, with most of the cover still on. Great for when it's  raining. Cheapish...

The best padding I've found over the years is that blue foam used to pack around the frames of new double glazed windows for transport. Soft, yet dense.  Non sticky. does not hold water, unlike rags/carpet.  Wide channel/groove fits right around mast section. FREE!
Far better than any pipe foam.
Lay it along the full length of the mast.

Found it necessary  to also pad the outer "girth ropes" (too windy hereabouts to rely on cover perimeter fastenings only) as they too will cut the cover.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

TheOldDuffer

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2024, 09:31 »
Not sure where I might get the glazing foam - will look for some largish diameter pipe I insulation in the interim. Still waiting to hear from rainandsun.co.uk
"Mostly Harmless": BRe 2022, sail No. 117, asymmetric, anchoring system, Coppercoated, grey with grey livery, Yamaha 6HP, stack pack, carbon boom and mizzen mast.

MarkandMary

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2024, 14:36 »
I use a 2m length of (half-round) plastic gutter held in place with some knotted bungy cord that holds in position using slots cut into the guttering.  Takes a few seconds to put into position.  Have been using it for four years on a standard 7m x 4m tarpaulin which has no sign of wear from rubbing on the mast.  Attaches to the trailer while we are sailing.

BRE 100 - "Petite Biere".  Dartmouth area.  Also Brixham Trawler B45 - "Pilgrim" and Merlin Rocket 3797 - "Fata Morgana"

TheOldDuffer

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2024, 08:42 »
I've been on to rainandsun.co.uk several times and Phil sounds as if sending some offcuts for patches is not difficult but I've yet to see any........