Author Topic: Swallow Yachts - after sales service  (Read 300 times)

AndyB

Swallow Yachts - after sales service
« on: 19 Mar 2024, 07:05 »
I was looking to modify my Jabsco toilet to take fresh water instead of salt water.  Most of the issues with these toilets come from the introduction of salt water. I do not use the fresh water facility as much as I thought and  have a tap right next to the boat so easy to fill up. So some blue pipe push on fittings and a couple of non-return valves ( 2 for safety reasons)  should do the job. I asked Swallow Yachts what the pipes and fittings they used so that I could purchase the same ones. The response probably took longer to write than providing the details.  Bear the response in mind when you look to enhance your boat.....

Hi Andy

We never mind helping owners with questions about maintaining their boats (replacing existing cleats, gelcoat colours, recommended woodwork products etc) but I'm afraid we are not a big enough team to be able to provide support for modifications that people are making to their own boats.  We are really sorry that we aren't able to accommodate; whilst we would be happy to fit a new toilet for you here at Swallow, if you do make a change to what you already have/install something new or different, you will need to make sure that the fittings and pipework you purchase are suitable for the new item

Kind regards

Lara Morgan
Swallow Yachts
Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

Sea Simon

Yard response is disappointing,  but very understandable.

Plumbing.
I didn't ask yard, but identified this John Guest caravan stuff as a likely system, it was compatible with mine. Does it look similar  to yours?

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-and-camping/water-plumbing/plumbing/

My WC is 10 years old, salt water flush. Holding tank (have just renewed the vent charcoal filter) etc...no problems, so far...
But tbh, I do use a bucket whenever possible.

Fw capacity only 60 ltrs, I drink only bottled water.
Most of my FW use is sink and deck shower (we all love this, great for grandkids). Not enough FW for me to  to flush WC too.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

AndyB

Re: Swallow Yachts - after sales service
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2024, 10:35 »
Thanks for the info. It looks a useful site.

I too have grandkids split between here and Singapore but so far they have not wanted a cold shower :)  I also use a bucket especially when on my own and drink bottled water.

The specs say that for me I have an 80 litre tank with 15mm quick connect fittings. Most fittings seem to be 12mm/0.5 inch which is why I asked. I guess I will disconnect and measure.

I have had trouble with the toilet - possibly from disuse - replaced the seals etc , added a contraption to stop the smell. I also fear the clogging up of the pipes and their replacement.... Glad to hear you haven't

Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

Sea Simon

Re: Swallow Yachts - after sales service. Plumbing
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2024, 13:10 »
I seem to recall the 12-15mm conundrum. Sadly can't  recall the answer, sorry!
I also recall Screwfix sells a limited  range of this stuff. Suggest buy a couple of fittings off them as a test?

Imho/experience...
Pumps. Worth adding a squirt of some sort of natural oil (i mean not mineral) and pump thru to help keep lubed, especially if leaving idle?
Commercially (especially  with vacuum WC systems , like those on planes) uric acid build-up v problematic, can get as bad as concrete, needing harsh chemicals  and a lot of work to shift. (I've  seen it that bad, that have had to resort to "gun drills", to get initial acid circulation). Regular, Vinegar treatment probably  enough for little boats?
Paper.  We also found type of toilet paper to be critical in avoiding blockages. Some of this modern "luxury" stuff really wads up. You must use something that dissolves readily.
NO WIPES, of ANY kind! Any rig crew caught using wipes (we enlisted the cabin stewards as spies!) Were detailed to clear all blockages for the next week. Proved effective!

These people are experts. https://www.leesan.com/home
Have a look at the info on pump lubes and descaling to get an idea.
Non functional bogs V rapidly become a BIG, expensive issue on a relatively small platform with 200 folk onboard..

Grandkids.  Of course, based as we are in Cornwall the sun always shines here  ;)
....well maybe the sea is a bit warmer than the N sea, perhaps?
One of the best investments we made was kids wetsuits.  The little devils play in the sea much longer then.

Yours must be spoiled by Singapore? I spent quite some time working in what was then a dockyard in Kepple (shopping centre now I believe!) And many happy weekends at Sentosa beach club, opposite.
I know where I'd rather swim!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

AndyB

Re: Swallow Yachts - after sales service
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2024, 12:11 »
Thanks again...  Leesan looks an interesting company for toilets especially when it is nowhere near the coast!!

I haven't actually been to Singapore yet - we go out in July - they have just arrived there. The Gkids are only 2.5 years old and the others no more than 6. I grew up in Papua and New Guinea so used to the hot dry or wet climate. I will let you know what is at Kepple and how the beach is.

I don't allow any paper of any sort - there is a bin nearby like they have in Greece                                                - and I ensure 7 pumps for the short 1-2 meter jump to the holding tank. Still get problems though I think it is lack of use....

Anyway thanks for the extra advice.

Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss