Author Topic: Hand held radio range extending  (Read 782 times)

RogerLennard

Hand held radio range extending
« on: 21 Mar 2024, 20:45 »
Has anyone on the forum successfully made/bought an extension antenna for their hand held radio that could be hoisted up the mast? I have a Standard Horizon HX851, which is fine when I'm lake sailing but may not be enough elsewhere.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Hand held radio range extending
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2024, 21:47 »
Roger,

I heard that there were times during one or more of the Sail Caledonia sail & oar raids when VHF communication with the safety boats wasn’t possible because they were too far away.  Particularly on Loch Ness.

So I bought one of these, with the intention of running it up the mast in an emergency as you suggest https://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/v-tronix-shorelink-emergency-vhf-antenna-8377.html.

Needless to say, I never went back to Sail Caledonia after this and have never actually used it but I’m sure that it would work.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

I had seen these about, over the years.

This info was posted by a long standing and very reputable Drascombe forum user who is also a radio ham. (Mr Ole Henderson) in response to a query there.

"A very easy way to double Tx/Rx range is adding an antenna tail, giving the radio a full 1/4 wave dipole arrangement. the tail; a downward hanging wire electrically attached to the radio's ground side provides balance for the shorter helical "rubber duck" antenna on top. Relatively easy diy for land-use handheld radios, more difficult for marine handhelds.
A solution: As it happens, an outfit in British Columbia makes a tail, "Rattail Antenna Booster" tm, for terrestrial and marine handhelds. Cost post paid; ~$US40. It attaches to the back of the radio case with velcro. Electrically, it uses capacitative coupling. Yep, I hear incredulous laughter in the background....  But, fact is, they do seem to work: Not using the marine handheld, but an 5W 2 meter amateur band handheld with tail, I connected with a radio net via a repeater about 50 miles down river in Portland OR three times (Government Cove protected calm waters, open water and ashore). Surprised me and them! The Rattail antenna wire is soft, flexing easily and does not seem to get in the way."

Ian Soutar • bodyworksvictoria2@gmail.com..the Manufacturer, says...
The device amplifies both transmission and reception as long as it's allowed to dangle free from contact with your body.

https://rattailantenna.com/

I found Mr Soutar very helpful. Be sure he knows its to be fitted to a Euro spec handheld VHF marine radio. Apparently  different radios require different "tuning" of the tail.
The device arrived promptly  from Canada, delivered to UK for $47 Can, £28ish. Simple transaction. PayPal.
Appears Well made, easy to use.

From adhoc radio tests (Thanks NCI) it seems to work well, and is very easy to use.
 It travels with the radio, no aerial connections to make, nor antenna to hoist. Not that I'm  saying it as good as this type of alternative aerial.

No connection with seller. I am not a radio ham.

Pic is their marketing, not my radio.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

garethrow

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2024, 16:31 »
Very interesting Simon, I might get one. I can receive messages from considerable distance - eg Holyhead Coastguard from Cardigan, thanks to repeater masts, but they struggle to hear me due to weak signal strength I presume - so this may well help.

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Sea Simon

Re: Hand held radio range extending. Rattail range extender
« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2024, 19:20 »
Garethrow, yes...I had similar problems.
My main issue was receive from/transmit to "club base" when racing locally. The fleet is regularly separated by a high headland, with the fleet and base all at sea level.

I am no radio/electronics expert at all, but I believe that HMCG switch between an array of remotely  controlled cliff top aerials. Hence their broadcasts on different  channels in adjacent areas?

I dare not occupy HMCG with extended/multiple radio tests, but we have two NCI stations locally (both relatively high up), each separated by a high headland so I have tested via them and club.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

RogerLennard

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2024, 11:37 »
Thank you for your suggestions.
I'd not come across the rattail before. Could be an easy to set up and effective way to boost the signal.