Author Topic: Bayraider 20, Epoxy wood, For Sale. The perfect Raid boat!  (Read 518 times)

MarkDarley

My Bayraider 20, "Pippin", will be for sale as soon as I arrive in Devon at the end of April 2024.  I have reluctantly decided to let her go to a good home now that I have my Baycruiser 23 "Foxwhelp".

I found “Pippin” just a couple of miles down the road from the Swallow yard in December of 2017. 
Matt took her into the yard for the following work that winter:

1.Cut off the transom and rebuilt it to the latest Bayraider 20 "improved" version; tighter turning and no weather helm.  As far as I know she is the only wooden Bayraider with this improvement.
2. Stripped her to epoxy and repainted the hull, spars and fins.
3. Replaced all hardware, and all standing and running rigging.
4. Installed a second rowing position to allow for two pairs of oars.
5. New full boat cover.
6. New Yamaha Four Stroke F6CMHS 6hp Outboard.  (Currently I use an Epropulsion Spirit 1 in her, and have moved the Yamaha to my BayCruiser 23).

In 2020 she got a new Roller Coaster 5 Braked trailer to meet EU standards.
In 2020 she got 2 pairs of Xcell X5 Elite lightweight carbon fibre raid oars, and gates. (Used but in good shape)
In 2023 she got a new suit of sails (excluding spinnaker which I purchased new in 2018).
And an Aeroluff reefing headstay.

I have twice done the Caledonia Raid with brothers (Covid cancelled the other two we entered) and she is the perfect Bayraider for this; light, points well with the wood chined hull, rows, and she really gets up and goes off the wind.
(I have made more than two passages between Dartmouth and Salcombe, 20 nm, in fractionally over 2 hours. Top recorded speed has been 13.4 knots).

At Swallow Yachts after her repaint she weighed in at 328kg (the grp hull is 500kg). She takes 300kg of water ballast giving her a higher ballast ratio than the GRP hull. She also has a very efficient water ballast intake and exhaust method: one very large bailer facing forward for rapid filling, and one very large one facing aft.  In addition I have added a large Whale gusher hand pump to pump her out under way in light air.

I have sail camped in her along the Devon and Cornish coast.  I have a roll out set of Ikea bed slats to fit over her two thwarts and lockers to create a double berth.  With her spray dodger and modified cover used as a boom cover (as well as having a lightweight shade cover), she is spacious and comfortable for camp cruising.

We have also daysailed her on the Galician Rias (highly recommended) and in Brittany and the Lake District.  If she doesn’t sell before the Mylor Swallow Rally 2024,  we will be there with "Pippin". And we will likely do the English Raid followed by a couple of weeks in The Morbihan.

She has always been stored under cover in the winter, and has been expertly maintained by Baltic Wharf Repairs of Totnes.

Offers invited until I have an actual valuation from Matt at Swallow (currently away on Easter holiday?).
If someone wants to ship her to the US, I can help as I have shipped a Salterns Tela and a Bayraider 20 to California in the last 5 years.

Contact MarkDarley@mac.com
Mark Darley,
Wooden Swallow Bayraider 20 "Pippin" and Baycruiser 23, “Foxwhelp” in UK
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

She also has copper antifoul!
Mark Darley,
GRP Swallow Bayraider 20 "Kelpie" in Northern California. Yes, I am a bit of a Swallow believer!

MarkDarley

I should add that “Pippin” has been welcomed to a number of OGA events, and other regattas.  She has had a pretty good run of success in her racing at Falmouth Classic Regatta, the Royal Dartmouth Regatta, The Caledonia Raid, Helford (OGA), Plymouth (OGA), and the Swallow Mylor rally.
So, Yes, she is always welcomed by OGA.
Mark Darley,

Sea Simon

Mark, I saw Pippin undercover at the sheds at Baltic Wharf, Totnes when I was poking about up there a couple of months ago now I  guess?
She looked well - great boat, especially  for a keen/would-be Raider.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

MarkDarley

Sea Simon,
I just arrived in Devon and plan to see her later today. She just got a fresh coat of non skid on the cockpit floor and fresh paint in the entire cockpit, so should be in Bristol condition.  I will get her down to Blackness and rigged ready for sailing next week.
Regards
Mark
Mark Darley,