Author Topic: Anybody been out yet?  (Read 321 times)

TheOldDuffer

Anybody been out yet?
« on: 14 Apr 2024, 17:40 »
I don't know about the rest of you but around these here parts (Dublin Bay) it's been either piddling down, blowing a gale and often both together. I haven't even been down to the yard to fit my bilge pump because it's rained every single day since I can't remember when. Sometimes showers, other times a deluge lasting the whole day. Very windy most days.  >:( :(

I can't even fish; the rivers are all high and coloured Sob!
"Mostly Harmless": BRe 2022, sail No. 117, asymmetric, anchoring system, Coppercoated, grey with grey livery, Yamaha 6HP, stack pack, carbon boom and mizzen mast.

garethrow

Re: Anybody been out yet?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2024, 17:51 »
Agreed, it has been a wee bit damp and breezy for boating or varnishing in West Wales. I am hopeful that ananticyclone might be developing through this week???

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Llafurio

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2024, 19:01 »
Forecast for South Kerry is for dry weather, but lousy cold, 11 - 12° C. https://www.met.ie/weather-forecast/sneem-kerry
I will launch in the coming week, can't wait.
C.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Sea Simon

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2024, 20:02 »
Launched just over two weeks ago, boat on river mooring since...at least two named storms and several gales later....
First Sail yesterday.
Managed a mile out to sea in a very lumpy SW, gusting 20 knots + so gave up and went home....fed up. That was supposedly the third race of our Spring series, but the first actually run. Only Four starters, just two finishers.

It's rained for weeks, so much that even South West Water's pathetic reservoirs are ALMOST full, so they say on the news!
Meanwhile, In our Victorian home, it's always damp to some degree but the dehumidifier upstairs has run constantly  for weeks, unable to get humidity  below 50%. I've fitted a drain hose so that it runs directly to the bathroom  floor drain.

Today, spent a glorious morning out at the far side of St Austell Bay, in Yacht club tender (22ft Plymouth  Pilot motor lauch) in order to lay the semi permanent seasonal  race marks. That chore done we were "rescued" by the Fowey lifeboat as part of their Sunday morning exercise,  boarded and then towed part way home. Good fun all round, and a worthwhile  trip in a flat sea, light S winds and sunshine.

SURELY the season can finally start now!?!

But at least one more blow to come...45 knts WNW forecast tomorrow! See attached...

BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Nicky R

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2024, 20:47 »
Sulis has been ready to go for a couple of weeks, but the weather hasn't been right since then. The coming Saturday looks promising but the tide times don’t work for launching for a day sail. It’s really frustrating 😞
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace