Author Topic: Bayraider 17 kit build - Basingstoke  (Read 32011 times)

Anthony Huggett

Bayraider 17 kit build - Basingstoke
« on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:39 »
I've just started unwrapping my 40th bithday present. The semi-mythical Bayraider 17 kit, never photographed in the wild until now. Here's a couple of photos of what comes on the trailer, and in a half unpacked state, down to the box (which contains most of the hardwood, compass, hatches, etc..

Julian Swindell

Re: Bayraider 17 kit build - Basingstoke
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2010, 21:21 »
Is there a part no.1 that you start with?!
Or do the instructions just say "Glue the wooden bits together and then paint in colour of choice?"
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2010, 22:41 »
Would that it were so simple.

There are 3 different parts to put together just to make part 1!

The instructions are quite helpful, and there are detailed appendices that describe how to do every job. But I'm still at step 1 - check the parts list.

Julian Swindell

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2010, 10:53 »
I had an interesting chat with Matt about producing a kit for the Baycruiser. There is a customer in the USA who really wanted one. Matt said producing the kit is not a problem, it is producing the detailed instructions which is the nightmare. The American buyer insisted he did not need instructions as he was an experienced boat builder. But can you imagine just receiving the kit and not a word of what was what? Glad I bought a prebuilt one! I just towed it to the water, got in and went for a sail.
(Actually I got in and had to motor it backwards to a mooring buoy, but that's a different story...)
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Andrew Denman

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2010, 09:31 »
Hi Anthony,

You are going to have fun putting this together.  We are building the first Aussie BR17 at the moment and she is coming together really well. You can see from the pics that she has a really nice shape and will be fast.

keep us posted on your progress.

regards,

Andrew

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2010, 19:05 »
Andrew,
     Many thanks for the photos of the part built hull - a real encouragement!

Is that a GRP moulding for the ballast tank floor?

I'm still trying to solve the logistical problems of storing and builing in a space 21 ft by 8 - what a joy it must be to have a light airy workshop!

Anthony

Andrew Denman

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2010, 20:53 »
Hi Anthony,

No GRP molding.  The bottom of the tank/hull is fibreglassed/epoxied and we paint it out before we install the ballast tank top with a heavy duty epoxy based paint suitable for continuous immersion.

Believe it or not our workshop is not big enough! 

regards,

Andrew

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2010, 19:22 »
I bet it's warmer in Australia than in my garage at the moment! Anyhow, work has started - I've jigsawed out the build cradle parts.

The plywood box that the smaller parts come in makes an excellent support for cutting the large sheets, provided that you remember where the support beams are, and don't get trigger happy with the jigsaw!

Fortunately the mistake was easily rectified with a piece of scrap wood screwed underneath.

Andrew Denman

« Reply #8 on: 05 Jan 2011, 22:40 »
Hi Anthony,

Here's a few more pics for you.  The application of the foam to the cockpit sole is propably the least enjoyable part of the whole build.  It is not difficult - just messy and you will certainly be glad when it is over.

The boat is going together really well and is very fair - hats off to Swallow Boats again.

We will be releasing kits in Australia at the end of the month.

How far along are you and are you having any problems with the cold weather?

regards,

Andrew

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #9 on: 05 Jan 2011, 23:45 »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for more great pictures.

As you'll see from the other thread, I've made the first finger joint on part 1B & 1C, and I've now made the second. But I think me putting a photo of every joint on here may be excessive.

The cold weather has made it harder to get much done. Essentially I use electric oil radiators in the garage to get the temperature to a cosy 10 C, allow the epoxy to part cure, and then stand the panel on edge next to a heater which bakes the joint off nicely (so the epoxy sets nice and hard).

I'm doing this for fun, with no particular schedule. Part of the joy for me is in having a project that I can go out and do a bit as and when I feel like it. That said, it will be nice when a lot of cut up plywood starts to take shape as a boat. My guess would be end of February to get to that stage. I will keep the forum up to date with major milestones.

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2011, 23:32 »
Progress is slow but steady. The trailer has gone to my in-laws', and I've created a plank building table as shown in the photo. The key feature is that the oil heaters can sit right under where the joint has been glued, raising the temperature where it's needed so that the resin cures even when it is struggling to get above zero outside (and elsewhere in the garage).

Planks 1 and 2 are now assembled, 3 is on the table. It takes about an hour of sanding per 20 finger joint, but this more than doubles for the 40 finger joints on plank 1 because it's more work to keep unpicking the fingers as you work your way up the joint, sanding to making each finger fit.

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #11 on: 01 Feb 2011, 23:14 »
Andrew,
      Thanks again for all your pictures. What size of steel box section did you use for the build cradle?

Anthony

Michael Rogers

« Reply #12 on: 03 Feb 2011, 16:44 »
Anthony

You may recall, in the 'hole filling and peel ply' thread to which we both contributed, that Simon Holden, finishing off (pre-painting) his Storm 17, commented that he glass/epoxy coated both sides of the hull panels BEFORE assembly. I wondered whether you plan to do this?

You may also recall that I expressed gobsmackery (there's a possible new one for Tony et al) at the idea, which on reflection seems such an obviously good one. In case there were potential problems, which I couldn't foresee and Simon might have avoided, I sounded out Matt Newland. In his exact (email) words, 'Epoxying panels first is the way to go. No flexibility issues but sand them before you start assembly and it will save you lots of time later.'

The oracle has spoken!

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #13 on: 04 Feb 2011, 12:45 »
Michael,

I'm definitely intending to follow Matt's advice.

I've now got all 6 hull planks assembled, awaiting sanding on the joints, sanding around the edges and then epoxy coating, before I start the hull assembly in earnest.

I think it's just a base epoxy coat that goes on at this stage, to seal the wood. For strength the glass cloth has to overlap the seams of the assembled hull, so goes on later. I guess one could put the glass cloth on the panels before they are bent to shape and then put glass tape on the seams. But that could make the panels too stiff to bend, so I'd rather not risk it.

The only place where I think it is recommended to use glass cloth before assembly is the inside of the centreboard case,

Regards,

Anthony

Andrew Denman

« Reply #14 on: 04 Feb 2011, 19:46 »
Hi Anthony,

Steel for the jig rails is 50 x 50 x 3mm and I have attached a couple of pictures of the jig for you and another shot of the 17 at painting stage.

WRT to pre glassing the planels you have come to the right conclusion - don't do it as you are going to have enough fun getting the shape in the two bow panels without the additional stiffness of the glass - not that hard if you take it easy but the glass would make it nigh impossible.

If you do pre-epoxy, be really vigilant with amine blush removal and surface prep before any secondary bonding occurs.

regards,

Andrew