Author Topic: Wish me Luck  (Read 20717 times)

Clem Freeman

Wish me Luck
« on: 21 Apr 2011, 15:47 »
Just finished cutting out all the ply bits for my S17, looks like a giant jigsaw now. Will start the scarf joints this weekend, the bit I've been dreading.

Anthony Huggett

Re: Wish me Luck
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2011, 17:37 »
Good luck with the scary bit. Are you pre-coating the ply with epoxy?

Anthony

Clem Freeman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2011, 13:22 »
Just completed the first scarf joint. All glued and now just letting it cure. I've decided not to pre coat with epoxy as I feel that by coating once its bent to shape thers no stress being put on the epoxy. Probably doesn't make any diference in practice but I just feel happier about coating after.

Steve Joyce

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2011, 18:26 »
Hope it goes well Clem. I have just ordered a Storm 15.  Will keep an eye on your progress whilst I am waiting for my kit.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:33 »
Steve, Its going ok at the moment. The only problem I've had is that some screws I used  to clamp down the scarf joints while they cure got stuck in. Ended up using an impact driver to get them moving. 2 sheared off and 2 came out. Will try to avoid that in the future. Will be nice once I can start putting the hull together, at the moment theres a lot of work and not a lot to see for it.

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2011, 13:18 »
Clem,

Did you try Matt's tip for getting stuck screws out?
Apparently, if you heat the screw with a soldering iron it softens the epoxy enough to get the screw out. (I haven't yet tried this so would like to know if it works).

Anthony

Clem Freeman

« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2011, 14:46 »
Anthony,

No I havent tried that yet. Unfortunately I didn't read that bit in the instructions until after I had my problem.If it happens again I'll give it a go.I think mine got stuck as I was using a piece of 6x2 as a clamp so there was a lot of screw for the resin to get hold of.

Clem

Michael Rogers

« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2011, 15:25 »
Clem

Try dipping the screws in WD40, or smearing them with a smidgin (spelling, anyone?) of wax polish, before screwing them in. You can easily degrease the subsequent hole with acetone afterwards, before filling it with epoxy.

SP Cadenza (+T12 as-yet-unnamed)

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2011, 19:29 »
Sounds like the screws are stuck in the clamp rather than the hull, which is good news. Please do let us know if it works.

Clem Freeman

« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2011, 16:07 »
I think the screws had pulled some epoxy down into the baseboard and had stuck there. I've just glued up the inner gunwales so the next job is to fit them, lots of opportunity for stuck screws. After that its sitching the hull together and there will be something that looks like a boat at last.

Clem Freeman

« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2011, 12:27 »
Anthony, As expected I had about a dozen screws stuck in the gunwale. I used a 75 watt iron applied to the screw for about 7 secs. They then came out with no problems. You don't seem to need to get them to hot for it to work.

Clem Freeman

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2011, 16:23 »
Reached a landmark today, started to stitch the hull together. Hopefully will soon have something boat shaped.

Steve Joyce

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2011, 20:14 »
I think I am getting pre-build depression.  I've got a towbar fitted to the car, tidied up the garage and have now started attacking bits of wood with various implements.  Looking forward to getting my S15 kit.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2011, 15:18 »
Steve, Hope you get it soon so you can do most of the build while the weathers good. When you see Matt ask him where my sails are.

Steve Joyce

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2011, 20:04 »
Thanks Clem,

we hope to get our kit about the start of July. 
Hope you get your sails before you need them.
Storm 15 "Robin"