Author Topic: Wish me Luck  (Read 20713 times)

Clem Freeman

Re: Wish me Luck
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2011, 17:41 »
Got another problem first, just run out of cable ties. 200 is not enough for an S17. Still got one top section to fit so will probably need another 70 or so.

Steve Joyce

« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2011, 08:43 »
Hope it is going well.  I guess cable ties are a lot quicker than twisting copper wire around. I don't know why but I am blessed (or cursed) with wanting to make things.  I had a lump of cherry wood left over from the world's most expensive pelmet,  and the garden chairs needed some new laths, so have had a chance to hone my woodworking before the kit turns up.  I haven't used a spokeshave since school about 40 years ago. The chairs seem to function properly,  so hope the same goes for the boat.

I look forward to having a go at the build. The sailing bit may be interesting once it's done though.  I did bits a bobs whilst I was in the army,  and we were lucky to be given a Drascombe drifter to play with for 6 months in the Falklands.  We didn't get to do anything too exciting though as a rather conservative navy day skipper was in charge, but sailing around destroyers in Stanley harbour was interesting.
More recently we have had a share in a canal boat.  The only thing in common is that it was on water,  and had a tiller,  so this new venture should be fun.  We will probably stick to the lakes as they are fairly close.

Have fun with your build.
Storm 15 "Robin"

Clem Freeman

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2011, 16:47 »
Steve, its coming along. I've got the hull tied together and ready to fit the bulkheads. It does get worrying when you hear creaks etc as you bend panels to shape, think its only the edges moving against each other but I still rush round to investigate each time. Now its basically in one lump you can see how big it is and realise there is no way I can reach to the bottom to do the taping. My cunning plan of building it on a moveble stand could be my undoing as it lifts the hull about 18" off the ground. My wife has suggested making a harness and dangling me from the garage roof, along the lines of Honey I Shrunk the Kids. I'm sure you'll have no problems with the woodworking side of things, it sounds as if we are in the same "boat" .... no real wordworking since leaving school 40 years ago. Keep us updated once you get going.