Author Topic: Events 2012  (Read 18727 times)

Craic

Re: Events 2012
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2012, 23:20 »
Graham, Matthew

Sail Caledonia, just in case you have not been warned yet, some advice from a repeater: Do bring thermo boots. Long days on the water, a lot of spray, and a few hail squalls possible, lake water being icy at the time and all the time, so permanently moist or wet Docksiders on bare feet won't do, especially not for the cruel Loch Ness Challenge of 36 nmiles.

CU in Ft. William on the 2nd. June.

Regards,
Claus

Matthew P

« Reply #16 on: 01 May 2012, 18:20 »
Hello Claus

Thanks for your advice. Scotland can indeed be challenging but I have also known it warmer than the Med. We will bring wellies just in case.

We are looking forward to the sailing, scenery, your company and Craic, whatever the weather.

Cheers

Matthew and Crew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2012, 20:10 »
Thanks for the warning Claus.

I have just returned from four days sailing around Mull in the 75ft Corryvreckan.  Even with little wind, brilliant sunshine and a sheltered cockpit, my fingers and toes got extremely cold.  I am now stocking up on thermal socks and commercial fishing gloves for myself and my crew.

Looking forward to the 2nd June.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2012, 12:06 »
Of the 14 entrants to Sail Caledonia, there are now five Swallow Boats - four BayRaiders and one SeaRaider.  The forecast of for wind from the west, which is good, but rather cool, which is not.

I think there would have been more Drascombes entered if the Thames Pageant had not coincided.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Tim Riley

« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2012, 07:26 »
Hello Scottish entrants this is BR no 4 calling in.Maybe all those Drascombes feel a bit intimidated by the armada of Bayraiders coverging on Fort William? Looking at previous photo albums of the event where the majority of people seem pretty wrapped up - not as protection from the sun I presume, we will be still packing the oilies.
Not having been on a sail and oar before i must admit not being too taken by the rowing part so we will be leaving the honda on the stern in case we get bored with being at the back of the pack. I only bought the oars as Matt thought it would be a good idea and my thoughts were they were there as the third method of propulsion rather than primary source of power.

Cheers
Tim and Reg - BR Ristie
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron

Matthew P

« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2012, 22:41 »
Hello Tim & Reg

We too are newbies to the Sail Caledonia event, have very little sail race experience and none of rowing. You might find us asking you for a tow if we get too tired!

We are looking forward to meeting you and the other participants on Saturday.

Good luck

Matthew
BR20 Gladys
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Llafurio

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2012, 06:38 »
Sept 12 - 16, 2012
The Dorestad Raid
Groningen, The Netherlands
http://www.natuurlijkvaren.nl/raid-2012/

The Dorestad Raid is a great and sporty raiding challenge. Tricky sailing, hearty rowing, going through under bridges, locks, even towing, busy days, and the accommodation on accompanying hotel barge "In Dubio" is quite elegant.
The Dutch are very spirited and innovative Raiders, the dutch network of interconnected waterways is amazing, and there is no language barrier as the Dutch are very international minded and always welcoming to guests from abroad.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27" and Drascombe Drifter No. 31 "Amity". Homeport: Rossdohan

Julian Swindell

« Reply #22 on: 08 Jul 2012, 20:47 »
Anyone going to the English Raid on the East Coast at the begining of August? I am, so long as the weather picks up. I spent last weekend staying in an extraordinaty tower beloning to the Landmark Trust (pic below) which overlooked the River Orwell also below, where the Raid launches. Most wonderful place and many Thames barges based there. It should be great ( weather permitting etc.)
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Colin Morley

« Reply #23 on: 08 Jul 2012, 21:03 »
3rd English Raid on the East Coast.

I would like to go but cant find a crew who can make that time.
Any offers of competent, friendly crew for a BayRaider?

Colin
Colin
BR James Caird