Author Topic: BR17 Assembly - Gluing Foam to the underside of the floor  (Read 10097 times)

Anthony Huggett

This last week I've been gluing the foam to floor on the BR17. The foam comes as 4ft x 4 inch blocks, which are stuck flat onto the wood.

Shaping was pretty easy with a variety of saws and a large sanding block - I used P60 to get the fastest removal of material. The foam is so soft I haven't had to change sheets on the whole job.

Sticking the foam to the wood went as planned - coat of thickened epoxy forced into the foam, a second thick coat for the bonding, and a coat of unthickened on the wood.

The only snag was butting the sheets together. The instructions just say butt them together using plenty of thickened epoxy. The problem is that the foam holds the heat in, resulting in expansion and exotherming, which moves the sheets sideways on the floor. After this happened on the first piece I went for sticking the foam down, then injecting thickened epoxy into the cracks once the sheets were fixed to the floor. It still exotherms (fairly violently), but because the sheets are already stuck to the wood, it doesn't upset the carefully marked out shape. It seems to make a very good bond with the foam - perhaps it's melted in!

Anyone else had this issue?