Author Topic: BR17 build  (Read 13500 times)

steve jones

BR17 build
« on: 10 May 2012, 16:15 »
Mostly finished, but test sail completed, just a few none serious snags to iron out, then longer more intensive  trials at Cardiff Bay then Bala, if ok then SEAFARE Milford Haven.

Steve BR17 Nona Me

steve jones

Re: BR17 build
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 16:21 »
WRONG PHOTO

STEVE BR17 NONA ME

Clem Freeman

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 17:20 »
Steve,

Looks good to me. I'll be at Seafair hopefully with my Storm 17. Would be good to meet up.

Clem

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2012, 17:55 »
Steve, 
    Congratulations on being the first home builder of the BR17. Mine is coming on slowly, but 5 weeks business travelling since Christmas haven't helped me to get much done.

Anthony

steve jones

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2012, 18:16 »
Thanks Anthony,

I have just returned from a four day trial sail, on non tidal waters on lake Bala, all went well.

From my own point of view I prefer the mast to be a little longer, and Matt has come up with a simple solution to achieve this. I have two sets of reef points and a system of reefing which worked  I am usually  single handed  and prefer to be able to reef at sea. It took me about 4/5 minutes from stop to go, in a 10/15 knot wind.
The second reef dropped the sprit boom too low for my liking, and raking the mast forward ment I was inhibiting the fiddle block fitted  for my bowsprit. Hence the need for taller mast.

I do not know what stage you are at , but have incorporated a number of personal mods. to make life easier and can outline them  if you like, the added weight amounts to about 12kg but  I will use the boat as a cruiser not racer.
 Might you be ready for SEAFAIR Milford Haven  23rd June for a week ?

I have also brought up the subject of sail numbers with Matt, he is in the throes of developing something and asked me to wait a while.

All the best ,

Steve

BR17  NONA ME

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2012, 09:15 »
No chance, i'm afraid. When I said turn her over, I meant I'm about to turn her upside down to glass the bottom.

Which brings me to ask: The build cradle looks as though the boat will fit on there upside-down, with the weight resting on the battens that support the seats, on the outer tips of the cradle supports. Can you confirm this? Or do I need to take the uprights off and sling a couple of stout planks for and aft?

Regards,

Anthony

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2012, 16:06 »
I'm sure the forum would benefit from hearing about your personal mods.
Do you have the assymmetric spinaker option?

steve jones

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2012, 17:42 »
I did consider using the inverted build frame, with some timber at intervals to rest the gunwhale on, but in the end I opted for bulk timber on the floor. The inverted frame would, on reflextion, have given me more height.

I will coble together some of  the mods. at the stage I introduced them.

One of the changes was to make a bowsprit , to take enable a fore stay and possibly an outer jib, storm jib, or flying jib. The problem being I only have 2cm clearance when I fitted the fiddle block and set the mast up, even though I had raised the mast by 3cm. Another reason for a longer mast.

Regards

Steve

Anthony Huggett

« Reply #8 on: 06 Jun 2012, 14:45 »
I have a definitive reply from Swallowboats that the cradle is not designed to hold the boat upside down.

That said, it can't be very far away - the seat bearing battens against the hull are all in the same plane, as are the tops of the cradle supports 3 and onward. Shave an inch or so off the tips and it would be a snug fit, I'm sure.

I think I will try through-bolting wooden cross-members towards the tops of the frame to support the gunwhale - that should put the boat at a convenient height to work at (for my 6'2" anyhow). Given my small workspace I need her on wheels.