Author Topic: Trouper 12  (Read 15024 times)

psn

Trouper 12
« on: 18 Dec 2012, 22:35 »
Hello,

I own a gunter rigged Trouper 12 purchased early this year in a semi finished state. Is there any one else with this set up who could provide photos of the the Gaff Jaws and general rigging arrangements for a Trouper 12? Thanks Pete

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Trouper 12
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2013, 10:09 »
Pete - Just wanted to apologise for the delay in approving your post (this needed approval because it is your first post). The didn't receive the usual email when a post is awaiting approval and I haven't been on the forum much recently so didn't see that approval was required.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2013, 15:36 »
Hello Pete

Welcome, and good to have another Trouper sailor on board.

I'm afraid I can't help in that (as you may have gathered from the Forum) my Trouper is not gunter rigged. However, have you tried contacting Matt Newland? The contacting bit is the tricky part, but you'll find him very helpful once you track him down. There are files and things you can download, with he'll be able to point you to the right ones.

Hope it goes well, and happy sailing later.

Michael         (Trouper 12 'Cavatina')

Kerrybobs

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2013, 10:35 »
I'm surprised that you didn't just happen to mention the Junk rig as an alternative?
cheers
Mark

Michael Rogers

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2013, 10:37 »
Hi Mark

I decided (more or less) that I had done enough JR proselytising (I suspect some may feel more than enough), and that I need to put my sailing where my mouth has been. So bring on some sailing weather! Besides, I imagine Pete is too busy finishing his new boat to be lured off piste by something unusual. Get back to us, Pete, if/when you discover that the performance of your new rig isn't exactly sparkling - or when you find that it is and you would like to tell us about it. Either way, enjoy it. I think the Trouper is a smashing little boat, and among other things would make a fine one-man cruising dinghy. My cockpit tent days are probably over, but I'd like DCA types to take notice. Once I've got some more experience of Cavatina, and some decent action pics, I might write her up for the (excellent) DCA journal.

I've mixed my metaphors, haven't I? Apologies.

Michael

psn

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2013, 23:06 »
Hi Michael
Myself  and son Jack spent the winter tidying her up, painting the deck and generally finishing off. We have fabricated an aluminium bow sprit and had a new jib made to try and help with the weather helm. It seems to have done the trick. We will make a timber one in due course. Regards Pete

Michael Rogers

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2013, 00:29 »
Good to hear from you again, Pete - and what a beautiful job you've made of finishing your Trouper! Congratulations.

I'm intrigued about your mention of weather helm. I didn't know that this has been a problem with the gunter rig version, and glad you've been able to rectify it. From the photo, you've something like doubled the size of the jib, and I wonder how she goes now, in general. Appearance-wise I do like a bowsprit!

I realise that I've been very fortunate with my junk rig version (and I'd emphasise that it has been far more luck than judgement) in that the rig has turned out to be beautifully balanced on all points of sailing, including downwind, when a lot of JR boats have a problem with an 'unhandy' amount of weather helm. I decided to increase the sail area (to about 80sq ft) because Matt thought that the lug version anyway was under-canvassed, and this has turned out to be about right - she carries it without reefing in f 4+ winds, and that's with only me aboard: with two up she'd be even stiffer. I decided to use the more forward (lug rig) mast position, and - well, as I said it's all just worked.

As you've probably gathered, Mark ("Kerrybobs') is building a Trouper (which he plans to junk rig). Like me, he lives in Cheshire. I wonder whereabouts you are? Perhaps we can have a Trouper mini-rally somewhere, sometime! I'm sure you would agree that they are very attractive little boats: yours certainly is. Happy sailing!

Michael