Author Topic: Lake Bala Rally 15/16 June  (Read 41485 times)

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Lake Bala Rally 15/16 June
« on: 10 Jan 2013, 19:17 »
Those of you who have been Swallow Boat owners for longer than me will remember that there was a very successful rally on Lake Bala in central Wales in June 2009 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGwDhhMAp-M  I propose that we do it again.

I have been in contact with our potential hosts, Bala Sailing Club, who will discuss it at their next meeting on 27 January.  They have slipways, a pontoon, somewhere to park trailers and all the usual sailing club ablutions http://www.balasc.org.uk/

Lake Bala (or Llyn Tegid in Welsh) is over 100 ft deep, four miles long (SW to NE) by one mile wide and surrounded by mountains and high hills.  Think Ullswater on a smaller scale.  Winds are predominantly from the SW but can be changeable and fluky, which makes the sailing even more interesting.  It can be a great place to try out that previously unused spinnaker.  Outboards (except electric ones) are not allowed, so oars will be needed in the unlikely event that the winds die completely.

If we go ahead, each participant will be responsible for paying their own fees to BSC.  After a day on the water on Saturday (possibly arriving the night before), the usual drill is to haul the boats out on their trailers and park them up at BSC or the campsite ready for relaunch and another sail on Sunday.  There are plenty of accommodation options and those that have done this before are enthusiastic about the local pubs.

Please let me know if you are interested, either through this forum, by pm or at my less than reliable email graham wickenden at btopenworld com, with dots in all the usual places.

If you are fairly new to all this, Lake Bala is a great place to find out what your boat can do.  I first started sailing my own BR20 there and have spent many happy weekends blasting and/or ghosting up and down the lake, watching the wildlife and enjoying the scenery.

Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Michael Rogers

Re: Lake Bala Rally 15/16 June
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2013, 13:05 »
Very interested, Graham. Not sure at this range whether the dates will work, but could be very good.

I sailed on Lake Bala for the first time in June last year (in 'Cadenza', my SP), and was very taken with it. I certainly mean to go again, and Swallowboat company would be a big bonus.

Michael

Terry Cross

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2013, 14:56 »
Graham, Paul and Micheal
Looking forward to it!
 Although I have met Andrea Cross,s Husband (No relation) I do not have their address.
I think it is  at Four Crosses nr Oswestry

Terry Cross IONA

david

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2013, 23:08 »
I am envious of your planned events in the U.K. with so many Swallow Boats participating. It would be nice if that could also happen over here, (U.S.). No such luck so far. Just one Swallow Boat participating in the trailer sailor event in Lake Havasu, me!
 http://sailhavasu.com/

Regards,

David.
BR 20 Nomad
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2013, 17:39 »
Just one Swallow Boat participating in the trailer sailor event in Lake Havasu, me!

If I've read the stats correctly, there will be 234 non-Swallow Boats there.  The best represented model is the Macgregor 26, a speedboat with a mast and sails. The mind boggles!
Graham

Edwin Davies 2

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2013, 20:13 »
I am very interested, but need to sort out a conflict with an art weekend!

Ed

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:16 »
Eight boats have registered a provisional interest in the rally so far - 4 BR20's (I think), a BRe, an S15, an S17 and a Trouper.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2013, 14:02 »
Bala Sailing Club have said that they will be happy to welcome us for the weekend of 15/16 June.  If you want to launch from the club and use its facilities, you will need to pay to the club temporary membership fees, which are £20 per double-hander boat per day.

The campsite used last time was this one, which is at the NE end of the lake and within walking distance of BSC  http://www.penybont-bala.co.uk/  They have a Romany caravan and tents for hire for those that don't want to use their own tent.  There are several other campsites around the lake but none quite as convenient as Pen y Bont. Here's a list for the area http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Bala&county=Gwynedd

For those that want a proper roof over their heads, here's a list of hotels and B&B's in the area, some of them quite highly rated http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g672155-Bala_Snowdonia_National_Park_North_Wales_Wales-Hotels.html

We'll organise some sort of Saturday night pub supper a bit nearer the time, when we have a better idea of numbers.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 01 Mar 2013, 18:41 »
I've negotiated the Bala Sailing Club temporary membership fees down to £15 per double-hander boat per day.
Graham

Michael Rogers

« Reply #9 on: 01 Mar 2013, 20:51 »
Well done, Graham. Er, can I ask about rates for single-handers? I can take it up with them if you like, but they know you!

Thanks for the other info. I'm going to pull seniority and 65 years of roughing it (a certain Monty Python sketch comes irresistibly to mind), and have a roof over my head and a few other creature comforts.

Looking forward to it!

Michael

david

« Reply #10 on: 01 Mar 2013, 22:08 »
Hi All,
             Even though I attended school in London, we had a satellite school I also attended in Aberllafenni, (near Corris). I did not realize how close you all are to my old school there. Great part of the country and many great memories. All seems so long ago....

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 01 Mar 2013, 22:34 »
Er, can I ask about rates for single-handers? I can take it up with them if you like, but they know you!

I asked and the answer is £7.50.
Graham

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 02 Mar 2013, 15:12 »
I'm going to.....have a roof over my head and a few other creature comforts.

Me too!
Graham

Tony

« Reply #13 on: 04 Mar 2013, 02:04 »
Hi, Graham,
Does BSC allow sleeping on board?
Some clubs do - some don't, depending on staffing arrangements, security of the site etc.
I stayed at the Pen-y-bont  campsite in 2009. It's fine. A scenic site with decent shop and facilities, if I remember correctly, but i'd rather sleep in my cabin ......

Here's a few  picture from that er... was it a Raid or a Rally?   

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 04 Mar 2013, 10:45 »
Hi Tony,

The reply from BSC was as follows:  "Sorry, but Snowdonia National Park do not permit sleeping on boats or on our foreshore."
Graham