Author Topic: outings  (Read 6030 times)

steve jones

outings
« on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:30 »
NOT a raid or organised event, but every year I visit Falmouth ( before they are holiday) and Plymouth (after they go back) .
 I intend going to Plymouth for a week ,+/- , at the end of September/ beginning October,  you are welcome to join me, I can advise on launch /recovery sites best places to go etc. It would an advantage to be a member of the National Trust , for reasons I will explain if you intend coming.
  In my opinion these are the two best areas for  sailing for our type of boats south of Scotland - yes there is a bias!

Change of subject:-
  Reg' do you regularly sail in Cardiff Bay? I am a member of CBYC  and am there most weeks.

Steve Jones   BR17   Nona Me

jonno

Re: outings
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2014, 15:56 »
Thanks Steve.  Plymouth sounds good.  So, provisionally, I'm in for this.

And I'm a member of the National Trust!

John

steve jones

« Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2014, 18:12 »
Hello Jonno,
  A taste of the area , if you don't know it, can be found on  a Youtube blog by a chap signed as 'PlymouthWelshboy'.
  I don't know the chap, but he's Welsh and moved to Plymouth and called Steve., I'm from Plymouth and moved to Wales and am also Steve' I'm older and bald though.
 Are you a member of the DCA or OGA or TOA?

WelshPlymouthbuhy.

Steve

Tony

« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2014, 12:18 »
Hi, Steve.  ( the Plymouth-Welsh one, not the Welsh -Plymouth  one ....I think.)

Boat-less at the moment so, in all likelihood,  won’t make Plymouth this year but I’ll keep you posted. 

....and I, too, am a member of the National Trust  (in order to get access to certain bits of Sherwood Forest) and the DCA (for the quarterly journal) the RAC ( even though they don’t salute any more)  Alcoholic Anonymous (for the small  ads) and the Lords Day Observance Society (Kavos Branch). 
Unfortunately, I’m not yet a member of the OGA.  I daren’t even ASK after what I've said about the Trailer Section’s male voice choir. (If you are reading this, Mike Stevens, I take it all back.....but, for the record, and Steve’s my witness – he was towing “Little Jim” at the time -  you NEVER sailed past “Four Sisters” at Sea Fair !)

Image 1  “Little Jim accepts a tow (!) from Nona Me.”  ...or Doom Bar strikes again! (Paradox towed by BR17.)
Image 2   Mike Stevens. (Parade of sail SeaFair2014.)  Leading light in the OGA and all-round good bloke.

jonno

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2014, 12:56 »

Are you a member of the DCA or OGA or TOA?

No, nobody wants me as a member of their association.

The bald, old club though?  Now you're talking.  I have the qualifications.

John

Tony

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2014, 17:31 »
Hi, Jonno.

Quote 1.    "...nobody wants me as a member of their association."   

Remember Groucho Marx' letter  to the Hillcrest Country Club?
     Dear Board,
     I don’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
     Sincerely yours,
     Groucho Marx

Quote 2.    " The bald, old club....I have the qualifications."     

For bald and old, substitute  " Slick and experienced". Sounds a bit better.

The way words sound is important.
In his youth, a Sikh friend informed his family that he would perhaps like to become an actor. "Certainly, Pota-gi!" responded his grandmother. "But in our family it is pronounced  DOCTOR, isn't it."