Author Topic: BC 20 Lake Superior Adventure  (Read 8938 times)

Jim Levang

BC 20 Lake Superior Adventure
« on: 30 Jul 2013, 05:56 »
I put a short video on You Tube from my son Sam's "Grand Lake Superior Adventure":
http://youtu.be/8aGZaK6umZs
We trailered the boat to Grand Portage, Minnesota, just south of the Canadian border. From there, he and his girlfriend Emma did a lap around Isle Royal and met me a week later in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I took Emma's place as crew and we sailed eastward toward the northern boundary of Pukaskwa National Park, the most remote part of the lake. After a week onboard, I was replaced as crew by a retired tug boat captain that Sam rounded up for the really wild and wooly leg of the trip. They should make Sault Ste Marie, Michigan within a week. My part of the trip covered about 175 NM but Sam will cover close to 600 NM. Our BayCrusier 20 preformed admirably.

Jim Levang

Knowlton

Re: BC 20 Lake Superior Adventure
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2013, 21:14 »
Many thanks to you and Jim for sharing the video of your lovely BC20. I was fascinated by your splendid sequence of photos of the boat being built as I placed an order for a BC20 a little while back (but I am going to have to wait a bit longer before I get my hands on her).
Could I just ask you how you mounted the transducer of the Lowrance 5DSI, as that is the unit that I shall be using. Please forgive me if you have covered this point in a previous posting.

Paul

Jim Levang

« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2013, 16:12 »
Paul:

My son Sam installed it so the details are a bit fuzzy to me but I know that we ran it down and out through the motor well. I will get you details and pictures when he returns from his big adventure. Where we located the unit (under the starboard coaming) isn't quite ideal but we couldn't come up with anything better. A bit further aft might be an improvement.

Jim

Knowlton

« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2013, 21:32 »
Thank you, Jim. I have enjoyed watching your video again (and again...) and I see that you have the Lowrance Elite5 unit. I have a Lowrance Elite3 DSI unit on my sailing kayak which includes a sonar signal. The DSI units use a "skimmer" transducer which is intended to be transom mounted, but mine "shoots through" the polyethylene hull of the kayak satisfactorily. Perhaps yours uses a different transducer. I would love to see exactly how you and Sam have installed it.
I think Swallow Boaters might find the Lowrance units worth investigating. The single, waterproof instrument head, which is easily dismountable (clip on, clip off) includes all the electronics one is likely to need - depth, speed, compass, colour chart-plotter (Navionics) - with no interconnects, and low current drain.
Provisionally, my plan is to install a small panel of material of uniform acoustic impedance in the hull of the BC20, and to bond the transducer to the top of that. Advice from folk who understand these things better than I do would be welcome.
I hope Sam has a great trip.

Paul

Julian Swindell

« Reply #4 on: 02 Aug 2013, 11:12 »
We are drifting away from Lake Superior here, but I mounted the transducer for my depth sounder in the motor well of my BC20. I drilled a hole just big enough for the transducer head to fit through the plywood. It is backed by a plywood pad inboard (covered in copper tape in the photo) whose sole job is to lift the transducer up enough so that it is flush with the bottom of the boat. No problems with water getting in because this is a flooded area anyway.
The readings can go haywire when the outboard is in use, but not too bad generally. Fine when sailing. The copper tape is for anti-fouling and works remarkably well. It is self adhesive copper tape sold in garden centres to keep slugs out of flower pots! It sticks really well.  I have even used it to patch up dings on my rudder and it survives there.
If of interest, the third photo shows the cores drilled out for the transducer (plywood core) and through the cabin bulkhead (foam core) for the meter plug end of the cable. The plywood core is reassuringly thick although the hull thickness is just the two layers above the dark band. The layer below that band is the plywood screwed and glued on to hold the motor well flaps in place.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Knowlton

« Reply #5 on: 02 Aug 2013, 22:21 »
Thanks, Julian, for sharing your experiences with mounting a depth transducer in the o/b well of your BC20, and for posting the interesting photos. Perhaps, as you suggest, we should continue this discussion on the technical part of the forum if people are interested. The transducer for the echo-sounder that I propose to fit (Lowrance) cannot be mounted through a hole in the hull so I am looking for another arrangement.

Sam Levang

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2013, 21:20 »
Hi Paul,

As you can see in the video and pictures, the Lowrance is mounted under the starboard coaming. There is just barely enough room here with the included low profile pivoting mount. It is a safe and out of the way spot to put it, although much easier to see on a port tack.

From here, the transducer wire runs aft under the side deck, out a hole in the aft coaming, then forward again through the coaming in between the hardwood blocks for the mizzen step. This was done because we already have a pile of wire running aft of the coaming for the solar panels installed there, and it keeps the cockpit looking cleaner. The wire then runs down the coaming behind the mizzen, and follows the surface to the transom. It goes out the aft end of the motor well through the slotstrip, and is mounted on the transom with the provided bracket. The shoot-through transducer would have some advantages, but this mounting was simple and we knew it would work.

For wiring runs, we used a kit from Weld-Mount which comes with a two part acrylic adhesive and a pack of mounting pads that let you attach wires with zip ties. This worked out great, and the adhesive stuck to our topcoat with no surface prep.

I agree that the plotter/sonar combos from Lowrance are great units, don't know why you would need anything more for recreational navigation. The Navionics chart card we purchased for the US is quite detailed and accurate, not to mention affordable.

Knowlton

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2013, 09:47 »
Hi Sam

Congratulations on your splendid cruise. You must be immensely proud of your beautiful boat (and in the video you look confident in her ability to take F6-7 in her stride).
Thank you so much for explaining exactly how you installed the Lowrance electronics, including the wiring layout. Your words are invaluable to anyone like me who is planning a set up similar to yours.
May I ask you to comment on one or two other features of your boat? I see from the video that you have installed rope clutches/jammers and winches. Was the positioning of them satisfactory, and did you re-enforce the cabin roof? And it looks as though the mizzen mast has a furling drum near its base. I was thinking of getting a Hobie kayak mast which has this feature. (Please post any comments you may have on the Technical or Home Build forum if you think fit).
I am sure that I am not the only person on the eastern shore of the Atlantic who keenly anticipates reading about your further adventures in the BC20 in future.

Paul

Julian Swindell

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2013, 18:58 »
Hi Sam
Further on your winch. Do you use it to haul down your single line reef, or is that not necessary? And do you have a second reef rigged as single line? I also think that you have a downhaul to the boom at the gooseneck? Is that right? I grab mine and pull it down by hand, but a down haul might be good.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/

Knowlton

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2013, 13:46 »
Hi Sam

I see that my query about winches, above, was misplaced as there is a separate thread about winches. I shall follow that with interest.

Paul

Sam Levang

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2013, 15:34 »
No reinforcement was added to the cabin top at the winch and jammer, since this area is already blocked solid with plywood in lieu of the foam core. The positioning works well, although we can only use it for port side lines. The spinnaker halyard is to starboard, but I figure if you need to winch that up it is not a good day to be flying the kite anyways.

We did not get a big enough jammer to do the reef lines, and it isn't really necessary. The way I rigged them now is to come out either side of the boom to horn cleats. They are 1/8" dyneema to minimize friction, and yes both are single line. No downhaul at the gooseneck as ours is not a sliding version, maybe you are seeing the Cunningham?

The furling drum on the mizzen is a nice feature. It is just two plywood rings glued to the spar, nothing fancy. Jim actually owns the same Hobie kayak you speak of and that is where I got the idea. The only other addition for this system were a couple of carefully sized round UHMWP inserts to fit the slightly oversize square mizzen step to give a slippery surface for the mizzen to turn in.