Author Topic: The BR 17 or 20?  (Read 7326 times)

John Perry

The BR 17 or 20?
« on: 13 Aug 2013, 11:40 »
Having just cleared the decks (or rather the driveway) for a new boat purchase, the top of my list is a Bay Raider. I am very keen to have a very portable, easily launched and retrieved boat, so I have been attracted to the BR. My question for the forum is the relative merits of a 17' v. a 20'; I wonder if there are any views on the consequences of one over the other. (The boat will live in the North East of Scotland)

I have a summer season mooring at Stonehaven, so my second question is around any experience or advice regarding mooring a BR, and again any thoughts around a 20 v. a 17.

Thanks for any help or views offered
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"

Robert Armstrong

Re: The BR 17 or 20?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2013, 21:10 »
John,  I have a BR 17 having moved down from a Cape Cutter.  I was worried that it might be too small but the 17 is a delight. Firstly it is a piece of cake to tow. I can also move it around my drive single handed on its trailer.Launching single handed is also very easy and with a torquedo electric motor it's really goes. Sailing without water ballast it sails like a fast dinghy but with ballast is very stable and with strong winds sails flat and steadily with jib and mizzen. I am constantly asked about it when ashore . I am sure the 20 does all of the above but with less convenience
Rob Armstrong

John Perry

Re: The BR 17 or 20?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2013, 20:53 »
Thank you for your thoughts Rob. It is a long story, but I have now got to a point where I can visit Matt at Cardigan, which I will be doing this week :-) My tendency at the moment is to go bigger, but I must be very careful I don't make it too difficult to man-handle and trail.
John,
Bay Raider Expedition 030, "Moireach"