Author Topic: Wareham (Dorset) and surrounds  (Read 7265 times)

Michael Rogers

Wareham (Dorset) and surrounds
« on: 03 Sep 2013, 12:21 »
Am I right in thinking that there are Swallow Boats sailors who sail/have sailed from Wareham, and know that neck of the woods (wrong metaphor) from a sailing point of view?

This is a tentative enquiry related to very tentative thinking about a possible move at some unspecified time to that part of Dorset. I knew Poole Harbour and Studland Bay from youthful sailing there, and had the impression then that Wareham is tucked some distance up the Ware, ie quite a way from 'open water'. I was, however, intrigued to see that my 'Where to Launch around the Coast' book suggests that launching at Wareham is possible at all states of tide except an hour each side of low water. Is that true? (I'm familiar with the 'double high' tides which presumably apply there.)

Experienced comments very welcome! Thanks.

Michael      Cavatina (Trouper 12)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Wareham (Dorset) and surrounds
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2013, 15:31 »
Michael,

I live about 10 mins from Wareham. There is a small slipway by the town bridge, but for sailors the two relevant slipways are at Redcliffe and Ridge Wharf. I have only used the former and it is a reasonable slip with plenty of parking and is accessible at most states of the tide. So your information is correct. BTW, it is the river Frome (pronounced "frome" and not "froom" as in the Somerset town) and not the Ware.

From Redcliffe you are about a 10 min motor from the open water of Poole harbour. I always like that motor because you pass through banks lined with tall reeds. It would feel slightly remote and wild if it wasn't for all the boats moored on one bank, but the variety of boats adds to the interest when you want a change from the scenery!

Personally I really like the top end of Poole harbour because it is quiet and you can't see Poole or Hamworthy (no offence to residents of those places, but I prefer countryside and water as a backdrop to my sailing!). Outside the main channel the water can get a bit "limited" towards low tide (the Google Earth satellite view confirms this very clearly) but you have the double high and sailing east takes you to the rest of the harbour.

But if I had a Trouper or similar and lived here I would launch as often as possible from Kimmeridge. That takes you to a lovely bay and if the conditions are right then you can cruise along a spectacular section of the Dorset coast. I used to launch from Kimmeridge a lot and hoped I still would with my BRe; but then I realised that while it is still just about possible, I really don't want to take a new, shiny 20' boat there. Something smaller, e.g. my old 16' Dabber, is perfect there.  It gets very popular with divers on sunny weekends but the trick is to stay cool when they are blocking the slipway and use them when you need a hand - a bunch of willing blokes in dry suits can be very useful when leaving or approaching slipways!

You can also launch at Studland beach from a National Trust controlled slipway. Never done that myself but it seems a great option for a direct route to a lovely bay. At low tide you have to walk (or drive) across hard, wet sand but with a Trouper or similar that should be a doddle?!

What I really like about this coast is the huge variety in such a small area - everything from towering Jurassic cliffs and coves, sandy beaches and quiet harbour creeks.

Anyway, that was probably far more than you wanted but you hit upon one of my favourite subjects there! Must do some work now, and, no, I don't work for the local tourist board!!

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #2 on: 03 Sep 2013, 17:04 »
Very many thanks, Jonathan, that's EXACTLY what I was hoping for! I was pretty sure Wareham had come up previously on the Forum, but couldn't remember the Who of it.

Certainly my memories of Poole/Studland sailing are happy ones - mostly in a Lymington Scow (lovely little boats). I also paddled a home-made kayak (well, my Dad built her, I held the tools). Two vivid wildlife memories of the stretch of water south of Brownsea Island are watching an Osprey successfully fishing there; and on one occasion finding my canoe surrounded by a big (probably 30+) school of harbour porpoises.

For reasons I can't now remember, I always associate Mendelssohn's 'Fingals Cave' music with sun-drenched rock pools round the base of Old Harry.

Anyway, who knows what may happen - perhaps I'll be back there again!

Michael     Cavatina (Trouper 12)

Julian Swindell

« Reply #3 on: 03 Sep 2013, 21:05 »
Poole Harbour is wonderful. I have been sailing there for 12 years and still love going down there. And each year I do a couple of trips up to Wareham where you can tie up to the wharf overnight for free.  There are two pubs on the quayside and you can take your drinks back to the boat. Very civilised.
Julian Swindell
BayCruiser 20 Daisy Grace
http://jegsboat.wordpress.com/
Guillemot building blog
https://jegsguillemot.wordpress.com/