Author Topic: Swallowboats at a junk rig rally  (Read 7293 times)

Michael Rogers

Swallowboats at a junk rig rally
« on: 11 Sep 2013, 18:42 »
(Oh no, not him again.)

The Junk Rig Sailing and Rally Club (the cumbersome title has internal-politics origins which I won't go into), an offshoot of the Junk Rig Association, held a rally at the Solway Yacht Club, Kippford (near Dumfries in Galloway: up the M6, turn left at Gretna Green, about 40 miles further, on the north coast of Solway Firth) last w/e 7-8 Sept. The reason I'm reporting it here is because exactly half (numerically) of the assembled boats were Swallowboats.

There were four boats! One was Robin Blain's JR BC20 'Gigi', and I was there with Cavatina. (The other two were "Badger', a famous small JR schooner, which has been several times across the Atlantic, and at least once to New Zealand and back: and a new sister ship to 'Tystie', the latter being the JR boat in which David Tyler has been all over, from Greenland to the Antipodes, for which endeavours the Ocean Cruising Club recently awarded him with their Rose Medal.) However it's interesting that 30 people (apart from owners and crews of the boats) came to spend the w/e getting some sailing under JR, to assess the possible merits of JR for their boat projects, and to discuss the rival merits of lower luff hauling parrels and batten parrels, and jointed battens v cambered sail panels

The weather was partly dreadful (gales and horizontal curtains of rain), but windows of sailable weather happily coincided with the best of the tides, and we had some great sailing on both days. Robin Blain's BC20 looks very pretty with her JR sail, which has jointed battens - the alternative to cambered panels to obtain an effective aerofoil for sailing upwind. And on 'Cavatina' I had company actually for the first time, which made her even more stable. We ventured - no, that sounds too timid; we boldly went - out to sea from the estuary into quite a seaway because of wind-against-tide effects: and 'Cavatina' frisked over the  metre high waves in a F4+, some of the time with a single reef (taken in or shaken out in about 15 seconds according to conditions), as her cambered sail panels drove her along in tremendous style. Not for a moment did she cause us any anxiety about her ability to cope. She is an absolute star.

Michael        Cavatina (Trouper 12)

david

Re: Swallowboats at a junk rig rally
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2013, 15:55 »
Hi Mike
                  Did you happen to take any pictures of the BayRaider with the junk rig. I have not seen this rig on a BaRaider and am interested to see what it looks like.

Regards

David
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Michael Rogers

Re: Swallowboats at a junk rig rally
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2013, 19:08 »
Sorry, David. Most of my sailing is single handed, and I find I can't sail and snap at the same time. However, pics were being taken, and will probably appear via the JRA. I'll keep my eyes open, and let you know if and when.

Michael