Author Topic: Hello and looking for a Bayraider  (Read 7834 times)

Ian Loveday

Hello and looking for a Bayraider
« on: 14 Sep 2013, 11:47 »
Firstly hello as this is my first post.

For the last couple of years I've sailed a Manta 19 at Rutland water, prior to that a bit of dinghy racing 20 years ago.  The plan with the Manta was to learn to sail better and discover what type of boat and sailing would be best for the longer term.  To cut a long story short  I think a Bayraider 20 would fit the bill, but I have a few questions that I hope you may able to help with.

To begin with are there any particular issues to look for on a used GRP Bayraider/trailer.

From everything I have read mast raising and rigging look quick and straight forward is that the case and do you think trailing for a days sailing and trailing home is practical.  It's a lot of effort on the Manta and the mast is heavy so I keep it at Rutland

The Spray hood looks big but in the pictures but not having seen it up close, can 3-4 people shelter from a shower under it?

Finally if anyone is going to be sailing their Bayraider over the coming weeks and would be willing to take me a for a quick sail and answer a few questions I would be very grateful. 

Thanks
Ian

Andy Dingle

Re: Hello and looking for a Bayraider
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2013, 11:38 »
Hi Ian

You have made an excellent choice in the Bayraider 20.

There are a several Bayraiders that use Rutland. Myself and Peter Cockerton both sail there quite regularly - all year round, it's excellent for a good day out in the depths of winter!
Peter's BR20 (GRP) is kept at the Whitwell Centre.
Mine is the WE (Wood Epoxy) version, we would both be delighted to let you sail in either or both so you can see for yourself. There is also a BR17 at the Sailing Club.
The WE version is lighter (and faster!) than the GRP and therefore a lot easier to push around on your driveway etc, which may be a concern to you - although, having said that there is little difference between sailing the two.

I trail mine, not only to Rutland but so far have visited quite a few places around the country, in addition to my own bit of the coast where I would happily, and very easily trail it less than 10 miles, rig, launch, sail, recovered, derig and trail home all in one tide, without any undue effort. I towed her to the Morbihan week at Brittany earlier this year, without any problems whatsoever.
The design of the mast raising system means she can be ready for the water in certainly a lot less than 30 mins, depending on how much chatting is going on!
She really is probably the best and easiest trailer sailor out there.

She will tow behind any average car without any difficulty whatsoever, when you have got used to the length. The long trailer base makes reversing her very civilised and you will easily become quite accomplished at it.

The spray hood is quite large, certainly you could get 3-4 people under it, maybe a little squashed up a bit but certainly possible. The spray hood is designed to be quite large to give that extra shelter - making it family friendly, and it marries up very well with the new tent that Swallow Boats are now selling that seem to fit the BR20 very well. (Has any one got the tent and used it in anger yet?).

Another beauty of the BR is that it is very easy to experiment with all aspects of the boat and rig, and you will see from these pages the many different ideas that people do, and share with others. So it is very easy to 'personalise' your own boat - I now have my BR rigged as a 'cutter rig' with a flying jib, not only looks stunning but sails beautifully. My next plan is to convert the main sail to a traditional gaff rig .. not that there is anything wrong with the current sloop, but really just because I can ...  and it's fun!

As regards any faults/issues there may be with used BR's, of course individual boats may have some things wrong with them, but I very much doubt there is any major faults that couldn't be put right easily and quickly, and if you are not sure, then there is a whole host of owners on this site who would help. Don't forget that Swallow Boats give a 6 year hull warranty and most (nearly all?) BR's are not that old yet.

If you should like a sail - and look over the boats let me know and we can sort something out at Rutland (Whitwell side).

Regards

Andy - BR20 No.12 (WE) 'Psalter'

Ian Loveday

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2013, 21:20 »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back to me, it sounds like it will fit my needs perfectly.  Ease of rig and trailing is major attraction.  Trailing my Manta can be a bit of a nightmare and over the last 6 months I seem to have spent more time fixing trailer hubs that sailing.  Being able to swap sailing areas and take the  boat on holiday around the UK will be good.

I can get over to Rutland most weekends so hopefully we could catch up when either of you are next there.  If you are heading out perhaps you could post on here or I'm on 0781 457 9830

Many thanks
Ian

Andy Dingle

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2013, 10:08 »
No problem Ian.

I am sure you will be more than satisfied with the BR.

I will give you a ring and we can sort something out.
I am on my annual pilgrimage to the Southampton Boat Show this week, so maybe this weekend or next?  During the week is possible too for the next couple of weeks if you can make that, my email is ketchpsalter@gmail.com if you would like to email.

Regards

Andy

Colin Lawson

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2013, 22:04 »
Hi Ian, I agree with everything Andy has said. I bought my BR20 (2008 vintage) second hand and have been very pleased with it and see myself sailing it for the foreseeable future.   If you look back through this forum you will see many great ideas for useful modifications but none of them are essential.

However there are two issues with early models that you need to know about, neither should put you off buying a BR20:

My early model did not have any strengthening in the base of the mizzen mast (where it slots into the deck) and mine broke in a bit of a blow.  I bought a second hand wind surfer mast and cut the old mast up into short sections that fitted inside each other and used it to strengthen the bottom of the new one and all has been OK.  Apparently newer models come with a strengthened mizzen mast so no worries and an older one would be easy to strengthen.

The pivot pin for the centre board in early models can slip side ways with a danger that it will slip all the way and you lose the centre board - I suspect this is the worst catastrophe that could befall you as the BR20 is pretty much uncontrollable without some centre board down.  I notice this started to happen on mine but Martin at Swallow Boats sent me some retaining brackets free and by return post and it was an easy matter to fit them.  Again this is not a problem on newer models.

There are no signs of undue where and tear on my BR20 apart from the scratches and dings that are my fault. 

So I would have no hesitation recommending the BR20 but check for the above issues if you buy an early model.

Colin

Colin 
BR20 'Spray' based Mylor, Falmouth

Ian Loveday

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2013, 08:22 »
Thanks Colin, i'll keep an eye on that.  in the mean time i'm hoping for some reasonable weather for a sail