Author Topic: Santa's elves  (Read 12148 times)

Jim Levang

Santa's elves
« on: 31 Dec 2013, 18:27 »
Or I should say elf (singular) in the form of my son Sam. He came home for Christmas from his studies at MIT bearing the gifts of a sweet sail cover and a new drifter. Apparently he found the time to teach himself to sew in the midst of his PhD studies. He is out in the shop right now building a louvered companionway door. Yes, I am fortunate.

Jim

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Santa's elves
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jan 2014, 10:51 »
Nice sail cover. Did Sam sew the drifter too? It looks quite like a shorter-footed version of Guy's code zero http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/smf/index.php/topic,721.msg5263.html#msg5263
How did you (or Sam) sort out the sheeting angles?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Peter Taylor

« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2014, 15:46 »
Hi Jim,
 I like the look of the drifter; I'll be interested to here what the balance of the helm is like with that set?
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Jim Levang

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2014, 00:05 »
Graham:
Sam did sew the drifter and I don't know how he came up with the sheeting angles. I asked him to check in here and leave an explanation.

Peter:
We will let everyone know how it works.

I got the louvered companionway doors installed today. Sam went back to Boston with the varnish still tacky. These are intended for use only while in port or at anchor and are made to be easily removable and stowable. They will be wonderful at some of the buggy anchorages that we end up at.

Jim

Sam Levang

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2014, 20:26 »
Most of the information I used for designing the drifter came from Emiliano Marino's Sailmaker's Apprentice, and a few threads on the web.

The sail has a modest foot length because in very light airs a low aspect, long footed, sail will just collapse under its own weight even cut from light nylon. The draft is designed to be shallow and forward, because nylon is stretchy and the draft will blow aft as the wind picks up above a few knots. And supposedly in the lightest of winds, a flat foil will keep flow attached and provide some drive where a fuller sail may just stall.

The cloth is 1oz nylon which is pretty light, but the sail has robust corner patches so I am hopeful it will hold up in 10knots or so. For its winter test flight seen above, there was probably only 1-2knots which was enough to fill it.

It is set free flying on an internal Dyneema luff rope which can be tensioned for a straight luff going upwind, and then eased off to add more draft when desirable. This setup should be easier to handle than the asymmetric spinnaker with its soft leading edge which loves to collapse and send the whole sail thrashing about.

For a sheeting angle, the rule of thumb is that if you extend the line of the sheet through the clew into the sail it should bisect the length of the luff. I picked the midships mooring cleat as a convenient sheeting point which gave about the foot length and height I was looking for and went from there.

I'm not too concerned about helm balance, as the SB provided a-spin is a larger and more powerful sail set in the same location and has never pushed the bow off the wind too hard.

It is hard to accurately shape any nylon sail, and my broadseaming was certainly amateur-ish. But I liked the shape when hoisted so I am curious to see how it performs. It was a fun learning experience, and a pretty cheap project in any case.