Author Topic: Web site home header image  (Read 10823 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Web site home header image
« on: 30 Apr 2014, 17:27 »
All,

At present we have a lovely picture of 3 Storms at the top of the web site's pages. As nice as this is I thought it might be time for a change. We could put up a new static image or, if we have a number of good images, we can have multiple header images and the web site will chose a random image each time a page is displayed. Alternatively, if the consensus is that the current image should remain then I'll get back in my box!

The size of the header image is 1000 x 165 so the challenge is to find a picture that works when it is long and thin.

If anyone has a suitable image or the artistic tendencies to create something then please share it.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Peter Cockerton

Re: Web site home header image
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2014, 18:25 »
Several photos of a line of boats on the beach exist in the gallery each taken on a SB outing, perhaps one of these could be used.

Peter
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2014, 21:40 »
Several photos of a line of boats on the beach exist in the gallery each taken on a SB outing, perhaps one of these could be used.

This would be democratic, as some of the photos contain boats other than BayRaiders.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2014, 23:59 »
I've had a play and was inspired to go a step further and make the header image change every few seconds. You can see the result on the development site:

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/dev

Let me know whether you think the changing image is a good idea or not and also whether you like the images I have used so far. I will grab an image of boats lined up as suggested but will do that tomorrow.
Jonathan

david

« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2014, 01:50 »
Jonathon,
                 Nice job. I like the images changing. It gives an opportunity to see the rich inventory of Swallow Boats.
       Well, that's my vote anyway... That and 2 cents will still not get you a cup of coffee! :D

Regards,

David.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2014, 07:18 »
Changing images provide an interesting and informative aspect to the site Jonathon.
Images of the SB range and showing the versatility of use i .e race,family, row, camping, group meetings etc. images selected so far go a long way to meeting this idea.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2014, 09:53 »
Great, thanks for the feedback. I have added the rolling images to the main site. I have tested them in a couple of different browsers on my PC but please let me know if these don't work correctly for you.

The images currently include a BR20, BRe, Storm, BC20 and BC23, so a reasonable selection. I will add more as a find suitable images. I think the pics of Julian's BC20 are my favourite so far.

BTW, when the site is first opened there may be a slight delay because all the images are downloaded at once and then rotated. If anyone finds the delay unacceptable or irritating then let me know.
Jonathan

Tony

« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2014, 12:33 »
Hi, Jonathan,
I really like the rolling header images – as seen on PC.
Unfortunately it doesn’t run on my Linux notebook (I’m running an old Firefox browser which doesn’t help) but it might be the excuse I need to upgrade to a Mac book. (....and if you believe that....)

As most of the images are of the “newer” Swallow Boats  I got to thinking.....

The circles I move in cannot afford a nice new BC25 but there is a lot of interest in ‘previously owned’ Swallow Boats. 
(Has that Trouper been snapped up yet, by the way?)

It would help those buying and selling earlier incarnations of the Marque if the boats listed on this forum (http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/?page_id=132 )  included a photograph and brief description. 
What do you think?

Andy Dingle

« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2014, 13:41 »
Hi Tony.. Nice to see you up and about again.

Shame you couldn't make last weekends thrash - but maybe next time..
For your info I am running Linux Ubuntu 14.04 which will automatically load the latest firefox browser (all free, and will run on just about anything) and the heading images work fine on my well used and rather ancient netbook..  give it a go..?

Andy

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2014, 13:51 »
Tony,

Does the rest of the page display correctly in Firefox, i.e. is it just the header image that's broken? I would like to fix the header image but I also want to make sure that if the image rotation doesn't work that at least everything else displays correctly.

I have made a change on the dev site so can you visit that please and let me know if the you see a header image?

http://www.swallowyachtsassociation.org/dev/

I can't make the rotation work but I've tried to make a default image display if the rotation fails.

I absolutely agree with your other point. My intention was/is that we would have a descriptive page for each boat under this section of the menu:

The Boats -> About the Boats

At present we just have BC20 represented there but if people will volunteer to write something about different models then I will come up with a standard format such that we can have a page for each boat.

Finally, the header images now include a rather fine CBL!
Jonathan

Guy Rossey

« Reply #10 on: 03 May 2014, 10:27 »
Very nice these changing images,  the pictures are superb!
I am looking forward to the next step, the webcam.
Catchando Bay ( BR20 #48)

Tony

« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2014, 22:51 »
Hi, Jonathan.

Newer version of Firefox now installed. Everything on the Forum site (and the dev site) now working well, so purchase of Macbook regretfully postponed.

I'll write some blurb on the CBL for you shortly.

Reg Barker

« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2014, 09:30 »
Hi Jonathan
Great stuff not just the swallow boats but the wonderful scenery. I like it! 
BRe #11 Alice Amy

david

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2014, 14:27 »
Hi Jonathon
                         Just a quick note to say how much I am enjoying the new header. It will be fun to see it grow as additional pictures are added. Nice job.

David :)
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2014, 18:38 »
Thanks David, I'm glad to hear you like it. I am working on some other web site changes at the moment (mainly software upgrades so I'm not sure yet whether there will be any visible differences, but once that's done I'll look for some more header images.
Jonathan