Author Topic: Dorestad raid - 17 to 21 september 2014 - Beulakker Netherland  (Read 4485 times)

PeterDT

See www.natuurlijkvaren.nl
More information in next posts.

Peter
BRe Anny

PeterDT

See attachment for the sailing area. A scenic wetland with reed marshes, lakes and canals. Easy and safe sailing in shallow and sometimes narrow waters.
The concept is simple: no mechanical power is to be used, just messing about in small boats.
It is organized by the 'Natural Sailing Society' , a rather loose group of enthousiasts. The name Dorestad refers to the town that was pillaged and plundered by the Danes when they sailed upriver. Nothing remains of Dorestad, only the name of the nearby replacement town Wijk bij Duurstede. So Dorestad will never be reached by any raiders anymore.
The concept of natural sailing stems from the writer/sailed Hans van der Smissen, a Drascombe sailor. A strong advocate of doing great things with small boats.

The website is in Dutch ande the information yet limited. I will be happy to answer any questions, but i am not part of the organizing team.

Peter

Michael Rogers

The notice is too short for this year, Peter, but I might be very interested in 2015 if it's an annual event. How could I find out about possible dates then?

Michael

PeterDT

The Dorestad Raid is a yearly event, in september, no fixed location.
Keep an eye on the website mentioned in my first post. If you send a mail to the mailadrs in the website they will probably put you on the list of interested sailord.

And a correction, the name of the founding father is spelt as Hans Vandersmissen. He claimed " the right to drown" . Meaning that if he wanted to sail to England without motor, electronics or pyrotechnics in a small Drascombe - which he did more than once - that was his decision. He also stated explicitly that he did not expect anybody to come to rescue him either! He believed more in sailing skills than in technical solutions or regulations.

Peter