Author Topic: Weymouth/Portland Rally  (Read 29835 times)

Michael Rogers

Re: Weymouth/Portland Rally
« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2014, 00:08 »
Jonathan, sorry to mess things about. Having said I need accommodation, circumstances have changed because my wife Judith and I will be on holiday (just arranged) in Dorset, between Corfe Castle and Studland, for a large chunk of July including that first w/e. That means I can 'commute' daily, leaving the boat at Weymouth, and so I won't after all need accommodation. Judith may join me for one of the days if the weather allows 'fair weather' sailing!

I would like to bring my boat over on Friday evening and (encouraged by your positive remarks about it) leave her at the Academy for Fri and Sat nights ie. during our Meet. My needs, of course, are just for boat + trailer parking and a slipway.

Michael

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2014, 08:05 »
Michael,

Sounds good, thanks for letting me know.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2014, 12:04 »
Any way of finding out whether Ben Ainslie will be around on his home waters at Weymouth that w/e? I think my wife would have an extra incentive to join us if there was a chance of a glimpse of the Great Man!

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2014, 12:13 »
Well funnily enough my kids met Ben Ainslie there 2 weeks ago at the opening of the Andrew Simpson Foundation's new training centre. So you never know!
Jonathan

Colin Morley

« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2014, 16:46 »
good to read all your blogs. I have two comments.
Firstly I had my BR20 at the National Sailing academy time last year. It is certainly as safe as any Marina. There is plenty of space for cars and trailers, the launching ramps are perfect. So it is a very good spot.

Secondly accommodation. I am not too worried about price. Convenience and comfortable would be priorities.

Many thanks
Colin
BR James Caird

Paul Wearing

« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2014, 17:57 »
Thanks Jonathan

Yes, please have a peek at the campsite. The Swallow one looks good too so I'm sure one or another will be ok.  I'll get charts, the link shows quite a lot of notes and that'll be easier to decipher on paper. Thanks for the warning about the tide.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: 25 May 2014, 22:36 »
All,

Nikki here, Jonathan's wife.  As Jonathan is currently in Scotland with Sail Caledonia he's asked me to post an update!

Having had a look at accommodation in the area the suggested hotel is The Royal Breakwater on Portland. Full details can be found at http://www.royalbreakwaterhotel.com/index.html

They currently have rooms available (twin ensuite £65 / single ensuite £45 B&B) however they do get booked up so if you need accommodation I'd recommend booking ASAP. The hotel primarily caters for fishing/diving/sailing groups so is functional and clean rather than luxurious.  Most importantly, it is also very close to the Sailing Academy where the boats will be based.

If the Royal Breakwater is full then I'd look at the Beach House B&B as mentioned in a previous post.

Also, I will arrange a table for dinner on the Saturday night at the Harbour Lights Restaurant which is at the Sailing Academy/Marina. If you would like to join us please can you confirm attendance.

Many thanks
Nikki
Jonathan

Michael Rogers

« Reply #37 on: 26 May 2014, 04:03 »
Two places for the Saturday evening meal please, Nikki. I'm confident of being able to persuade Judith to come, whether or not B A is sighted.

Michael

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #38 on: 26 May 2014, 08:14 »
Nicki

Put me down for two places please for the evening meal, i'm being looked after by grandson Jake ( 11 year old for this outing), will Poppy and Olly be coming.

I have booked into the Royal Oak in Weymouth so that 's sorted, £110 for both of us for the two nights.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Reg Barker

« Reply #39 on: 26 May 2014, 18:07 »
Hi Nicki
Can you reserve two places for the evening meal for Rosalind and me. Thank you.
Do I need to booked a space on the marina for three nights as we are sleeping on board.
BRe #11 Alice Amy

Colin Morley

« Reply #40 on: 28 May 2014, 16:29 »
Thanks,

I have just booked us into the Royal Breakwater for Friday and Saturday night.

Please book Hamish and myself in for saturday dinner.

Are there any plans for Friday evening meal?
Colin
BR James Caird

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #41 on: 29 May 2014, 06:59 »
Colin

Also now booked into the Royal Breakwater for Friday and Saturday, so will be eating somewhere Friday night.

Peter Cockerton and grandson Jake (11 yrs old)
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Reg Barker

« Reply #42 on: 29 May 2014, 14:49 »
I have booked my wife Rosalind into the Hotel. I am booked into the marina for three nights. I am committed. 
BRe #11 Alice Amy

Paul Wearing

« Reply #43 on: 07 Jun 2014, 19:49 »
Hi Jonathan/Nikki

Please would you book four of us for the meal on Saturday night.

Thanks

Paul

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: 09 Jun 2014, 09:54 »
All,

Thanks for the various updates and I have added everyone to the booking for Saturday's meal.

For those interested in using a campervan at the Sailing Academy, they are setup for this because they have people staying in campervans when they host national sailing events, etc. There are electric hookups and the academy building has showers, loos and a cafe, etc. The campervans are parked on a hard standing, not a nice grassy area, but they are in among all the boats so you are very much "on the spot". Cost is £18/night. I thought that was quite expensive given that we're already a customer of the academy and will have bought temporary membership and launching fees, etc, but I don't think I will be able to negotiate them down. If you want to use a campervan then you have to book online. You can do that via the following link and that also provides more information for campervans:

http://www.wpnsa.org.uk/overnight-campervaning/

I will post full details about location and timings nearer to the 4th July. As things stand we have a number of boats arriving on the Friday, most of the rest on Saturday and one joining us just for the day on Sunday. I will let you all have the code for the Academy's security gates but if you arrive during office hours then it's best to go to reception first and check-in with them before going in to the "compound".

I don't have any firm ideas about where to sail and I suggest we see what the weather's doing and what we all fancy. Again, I'll update this before the sailing weekend once the weather forecast is known. At that time I'll also confirm exact timings and meetings places, etc. I'll put all that information in the first post of this forum topic and also add a new post to let you know I've made those updates.

Some peple have asked about using the marina (http://www.deanreddyhoff.co.uk/portland-marina/). Launch and recovery is very easy at the Sailing Academy so I suspect most of you will want to do that each day. But the marina is immediately next door and recommended if you want to avoid daily recovery or want to sleep in your boat on the water (both of which apply to me). Cost is £1.95/m/day all-in. If you're undecided then that's not a problem because you can just ask for a visitor berth on the day and they should have something - just call them on 08454 302012 or VHF channel 80.

Finally, I promised I would check out Swallows' Rest camp site and I will do that this week and post here what we find.

I think that covers everything. I will post detailed information nearer the time but please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions in the meantime.
Jonathan