Author Topic: Honda 2.3 queries  (Read 7440 times)

garethrow

Honda 2.3 queries
« on: 31 May 2014, 19:12 »
As a dedicated sailing type I confess to engines leaving me a bit baffled. I use my Honda relatively infrequently, probably clocking up less than 10hrs running per year despite numerous trips out into Cardigan Bay. However, when I do need it, I really do need it - if you understand what I mean. Prompt starting is therefore of paramount importance. I keep the engine in near perfect order - always stored inside garage and serviced each season end.

So, to the problem. Usually it starts second or third pull = good news. Very occasionally it doesn't and takes a long time / many many pulls to start = very bad news with the bridge looming / bar breaking etc etc). I am now fairly sure that this coincides with  if I have left the engine turned off but down for a brief period whilst sailing so that the prop is turning over. (note the the 2.3 has a centrifugal clutch so prop can't be locked in gear).

Once I do get the thing started again it seems to run fine and starts as normal therafter. If I could understand what is happening - I might be able to start it quicker. Can a rotating prop some how suck petrol into the cylinder thereby causing flooding?? OR is the prop somehow forcing air into the carb so I actually need to apply the choke?? There is no obvious smell of petrol to indicate flooding.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Gareth Rowlands
Gwennol Teifi S17

Simon Holden

Re: Honda 2.3 queries
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2014, 21:27 »
Gareth

I had the same problem with my Honda 2.3 also strangely used with my S17!

The engine had always started fine, until it had been in the down position and 'free-wheeling' (not running) for a time as you describe.

Then it was very reluctant to start. In the 'up' position - no problem.

I figured that with the engine 'down' the hydrodynamic drag of the prop rotating against the centrifugal clutch created a lot of turbulence and resistance with water being forced back up the exhaust and into the engine (assuming the exhaust valve was open) - therefore making re-starting difficult until the engine was clear.

My solution is to keep the engine running at idle when 'down' to keep the exhaust clear or to lift it and just start when required.

I don't think that there's any way that the rotating prop could affect the air/fuel mixture.

Hope this helps

Simon
Storm 17 'Olivia Eva'

garethrow

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2014, 16:17 »
Thanks Simon - that is thought provoking if not a little worrying - I don't like the thought of sucking up seawater into the engine.

I always try to bring the engine up once stopped - but occasionally fail to do so. I now have an added incentive!

Incidentally, have you ever found the location of the fuel filter on the 2.3?

Regards

Gareth
Gwennol Teifi S17

Simon Holden

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jun 2014, 21:31 »
Hi Gareth

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have one!

I've scoured my owners manual and there's no mention of a fuel filter.

I guess a funnel with a built in filter would be worth the investment

Cheers

Simon
Storm 17 'Olivia Eva'

garethrow

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2014, 20:36 »
Thanks Simon - that would explain why I can't find it, unless anyone else knows differently?

I also reached the decision to get a funnel with filter a couple of years ago.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
Gwennol Teifi S17