Author Topic: Launching places with pontoon alongside ramp  (Read 103 times)

Nicky R

Launching places with pontoon alongside ramp
« on: 28 Apr 2024, 20:28 »
Hi
Does anyone know of anywhere that you can launch with a pontoon alongside the luachn ramp on the south or east coast? I’m a bit less agile than normal at the moment, and think I’m going to find it hard to climb into the boat from the ramp. I know of several launching ramps that would be suitable in Devon and Cornwall, but they’re too far away for a weekend sail and our usual East coast launching spots on the Orwell and Blackwater are rather more basic!
Thanks
Nicky
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

MarkF

Re: Launching places with pontoon alongside ramp
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2024, 00:33 »
Hi Nicky,
North Fambridge might be an option. 

I’ve not launched from the marina, but I have been meaning to check it out as an option.

https://www.yachthavens.com/fambridge-yacht-haven

You should be able to get to the mouth of the Crouch and back on one tide, even though it’s quite far up river.

By the way, can I ask where you launch from on the Blackwater? I’ve been hoping to find some East coast slipways to try.
BR20 Gunter-rigged

Nicky R

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2024, 06:57 »
Thanks for the North Fambridge suggestion. We'll look into that.

We launch from Bradwell marina normally when we sail on the Blackwater. It’s accessible for most of the tidal range. It’s generally a good slip, although it’s quite narrow and you have to be careful of a post off the end of the slip. Sometimes you have to wait for other boats as there’s only space for one boat on the slipway at a time, but we’ve never had to wait for too long.
Ex BRe #001 Grace

MarkF

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2024, 07:05 »
Thanks, Nicky.
I was thinking of suggesting Bradwell, but I wasn’t sure about the pontoon - I guess they don’t have one!
BR20 Gunter-rigged

Nicky R

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2024, 18:50 »
Sadly not, There’s a pontoon where they could come and pick me up after launching, but nothing alongside the slipway. Other than the lack of pontoon, it’s a really nice place to sail from.
Ex BRe #001 Grace