Author Topic: Congratulations to Vagabond..  (Read 8513 times)

Andy Dingle

Congratulations to Vagabond..
« on: 28 Jun 2014, 09:32 »
For those who are not aware - Vagabond, Rob Johnstone's BayCruiser 23 has completed his circumnavigation of mainland Britain, even going round the top, through the Orkney Islands and with a bit of Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man thrown in for good measure.

No mean feat in any relatively small boat, even a Baycruiser 23.

I believe this is the first Swallow Boat to have completed such a journey, but I wonder how long it is before an Expedition or even an open Bayraider does it? Any takers?

But very well done Rob - and you can expect some awkward questions from a very difficult visitor at Bletchley Park when you least expect it!

Andy

Simon Reeve

Re: Congratulations to Vagabond..
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2014, 18:08 »
Congratulations Rob,
A real inspiration to the rest of us to step up a gear in our sailing adventures.
Simon

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2014, 21:33 »
Thankyou for the compliments. I'm now feeling very embarrassed!
I put it down to being a wimpish sailor, really. I had three rules (a) don't go to sea if there's a sniff of F6 in the forecast, (b) don't sail at night and (c) try to go round pointy bits at slack tide, preferably during neaps!
I think the tributes should really go to the design and build quality of the boat. Despite being in a a few uncomfortable situations (mainly because I ignored rule (a)), I've had every confidence that the boat will "take it". OK, a few things didn't work as well as expected (roller reefing - now fixed) but nothing broke at a critical moment. This confidence in the boat has been increased by the adoption of the "spreader" mast configuration. It has stiffened the rig considerably and (I think) improves the upwind performance too.
I wouldn't want to do it in an open boat. The idea that I was carrying with me a snug cabin, that would be available to me  once we had got somewhere, buoyed me up a few times!

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Michael Rogers

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2014, 22:10 »
Terrific achievement, Rob!! Heartiest congratulations and huge respect.

Michael

Peter Taylor

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2014, 17:11 »
Yes, a remarkable voyage indeed; I see going around the Isle of Wight as a challenge!
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Tony

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2014, 18:08 »
Thankyou for the compliments. I'm now feeling very embarrassed!
I put it down to being a wimpish sailor, really. I had three rules (a) don't go to sea if there's a sniff of F6 in the forecast, (b) don't sail at night and (c) try to go round pointy bits at slack tide, preferably during neaps!

Rob J

Hi, Rob.
FAR be it for me to contradict anyone  but "wimpish sailor" ?
I think not!  A wimp wouldn't have gone in the first place. What you describe is  called good seamanship, usually.