Author Topic: iphone slot!  (Read 3513 times)

Colin Morley

iphone slot!
« on: 22 Jul 2014, 09:55 »
While sailing on the North sea heading west out of Well-next-the-sea. I was about to take a video of my son showing the best way to use the mizzen when my iphone, which was on my lap suddenly disappeared. We searched high and low and could not find it in the boat so we assumed it must have slid down the centre board slot - now called the iphone slot.

Previously we had a book fall down there but were able to retrieve it.  We are wondering whether we might fit some net or cover over the slot while sailing, that needs to retract out of the way when the board comes up. Has anybody else solved this problem.

The phone was lost while sailing parallel to Holkham beach at about the low tide level so if anyone finds it please clean it, remove the sand and crabs, dry it, get it working and return it to me ASAP.
Colin
BR James Caird

Peter Cockerton

Re: iphone slot!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2014, 09:26 »
Colin

Will suggest Matt updates his Bayraider 20 specification

The BayRaider is extremely versatile.  She is not just a tough, fast Raid boat, the water ballast makes her suitable for a wide range of conditions and levels of crew experience.
    Surprisingly, perhaps, she is an ideal boat for beginners as, with ballast tanks full, she is stable, forgiving  and very hard to capsize  (See this Video from Denman Marine our Licensed builder in Australia to see just how hard!)
    In fact, with the ballast tanks full she will self right from a 90 degree knockdown and thanks to her sealed hollow mast and asymmetric capsize buoyancy, she can easily be recovered from a full inversion.
    As your crew gain experience, leave the ballast tank empty ( or empty it on the move) and you transform her into something approaching a racing dinghy. Add toe straps and her wide side decks provide seating for hiking out to maximise her performance, with the potential to semi plane and surf in the right conditions. Flying the asymmetric spinnaker further boosts performance for the experienced sailor.
    The BayRaider is a two masted ketch and has the huge advantage over a single mast rig of allowing  a quick and massive reduction of  sail.  Dropping the mainsail completely takes only moments, leaving her well balanced, very stable and able to tolerate virtually any weather - even making to windward under jib and mizzen alone.
    The outboard motor (2hp -4hp gives 6 knots) does not hang obtrusively over the transom but is housed in a well at the rear of the large cockpit, for easy access. When sailing the motor can be tilted out of the water, the well being sealed with shutters, eliminating drag.
    Unusually for an open boat she has a self draining cockpit, which again is of huge benefit to safety. In a swamping or knockdown situation there is no need for bailing, leaving the skipper free to concentrate on the situation in hand.
    The optional spray hood gives shelter, if required, for the crew while sailing and, once moored up a secluded creek, is used with the boat tent and camping accessories to make you comfortably independent of civilization for a few days.
    A change of scene is no problem as she can easily be towed short or long distances behind a family car. (Brittany, Spain, South of France, Italy, and Greece have all been visited by UK-based Swallow Boats.)
    She can be fully rigged on the trailer in less than 10mins (!), launched and recovered, single handed, without getting the wheel hubs wet.
    At only 330kg in wood/epoxy or 430kg in GRP, the BayRaider is light enough on her trailer to be easily manhandled by one person around a dinghy park – or tucked into a safe spot in a hotel car park when on your travels!

NOW INCLUDING AN IPHONE SLOT WHERE YOU CAN INSTANTLY DEPOSIT YOUR IPHONE FOR A COMPLETE NON INTERURUPTING SAIL.

You might want to give this app a go as well

Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Colin Morley

Re: iphone slot!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2014, 16:15 »
Thank you Peter. I agree with all you comments about the boat.
However, you missed two other virtues. 1) It can be used to carry at least 13 people on an ice cream raid. 2) it can be allowed to dry out on a sandy beach and used as a play house!

Colin
BR James Caird