Author Topic: Trailers  (Read 27644 times)

David Hudson

Trailers
« on: 21 Aug 2014, 11:35 »
At first I had chosen an unbraked trailer for my BR Expedition but as indicated elsewhere, even with minimal kit, weight is getting up to the top limit.

I think I will raid my wife's piggy bank and go for the braked option!
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

Andy Dingle

Re: Trailers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:01 »
Hello Dave..

I'm just fresh back home (yesterday) from a pilgrimage to Swallow Boats HQ where I had the opportunity to see the new-to-Swallow Boats Snipe Braked trailers (in particular my own new trailer) .. they really are very good and look very well engineered.. (Picture attached..).
Most certainly it's well worth incurring the wrath of 'er indoors to get your hands on one - and indeed, in the light of the concerns re the weights of BRe's you would no doubt regret not getting one.

You have chosen an excellent boat ... !

Andy

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:19 »
David,

Definitely go for the braked version. My BRe recorded 740KG on a weighbridge which, given the weighbridge measures to the nearest 20kg, means my setup weighs between 730kg and 749kg. But that was without engine, warps and spare wheel! So I've just got my trailer converted to be braked by a local manufacturer. If I was buying new then I would buy a braked trailer without any shadow of doubt.
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

Rob Waller

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2014, 21:17 »
A word of warning on trailer security. All the rollers were nicked from my trailer where it was parked at Emsworth Yacht Harbour where I'm based (boat not on it). It's cost well north of £200 to replace, so in future I plan to unbolt them if I leave it for a whole season.

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2014, 15:52 »
My BRe recorded 740KG on a weighbridge which, given the weighbridge measures to the nearest 20kg, means my setup weighs between 730kg and 749kg.
I weighed my BR20 before setting off for Greece.  It had a very few lightweight items in the lockers plus its spars and sails and came in at exactly 750kg.  The car was filled to the gunwales and was 50kg over but that's another story.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2014, 21:43 »
Andy,

The Snipe trailer for your bc 23  looks as if it is designed to be lighter than that for Vagabond from CLR. It also looks as if the overhang (of the trailer frame behind the wheels) is not as long.

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Andy Dingle

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2014, 18:24 »
Thanks Rob. Matt tells me he had these trailers made up by Snipe to his specs.
Can't comment on overhands at the aft it end until I get it - there will no doubt be some to ensure is suitable marked and lit. I'll keep the lighting board arms extended anyway to 'lengthen' the trailer.
The mast is bound to stick out the back anyway.

Am aiming to pick up on the Monday after SBS so will let you know how I get on after the nerve wracking tow home that day!

Cheers

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2014, 19:52 »
I've just picked up my boat from Cardigan with its CLH trailer converted to braked  suspension on 13" wheels.  Initial impressions compared to unbraked are that it's a bit taller and more difficult to get in the shed but easier to crawl under (because I've moved up from 10" wheels) and noticeably longer because the braking mechanism lengthens the coupling arm; it feels lighter (even though it isn't) because there are two extra brakes to cope with the momentum when going down Welsh hills; and as an unexpected extra, fuel consumption has improved by over 10%, perhaps from a combination of the big wheels' lower rolling resistance and brand new bearings.  Best of all, it's now certified at 1,000kg, up from 750kg, which means that I no longer have to unload the lockers every time I trail anywhere.
Graham

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2014, 09:52 »
Had my BR20 Bramber trailer upgraded to braked and i definitely feel more comfortable when applying the car brakes, the boat is no longer pushing the car forward and the need to apply stronger breaking. As Graham pointed out it's a relief knowing you have the certification for 1000 kg of trailer load.

One concern which i must address is flushing the drums after salt water immersion, i will fit a flushing kit before visiting Morbihan.

Peter Cockerton
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2014, 12:05 »
One concern which i must address is flushing the drums after salt water immersion, i will fit a flushing kit before visiting Morbihan.

Like this (near the bottom of the page)? http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/AL-KO_Brake_spares.html  Apparently installing one of these kits usually involves climbing under the boat and drilling a hole with a metal drill bit through the outer casing of the brake drum assembly. Either that or doing it when the boat is not on its trailer.
Graham

David Hudson

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2014, 21:01 »

http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/AL-KO_Brake_spares.html

A good reference. Definitely a "must do".
David H.
BRe No. 35

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2014, 21:15 »
So far, I've not found this too much of a problem. When I removed the brakes drums to check out the bearings on Vagabonds trailer this autumn the condition of the insides of the brake housing was pretty good. There was a little superficial rust on the brake application linkages but nothing serious - admittedly the trailer had only been dunked in the sea twice in the year. My biggest concern is keeping the brake adjuster cone free so that you can turn it to adjust the brakes as they wear.  So far, waterproof grease inside and out seems to work.........

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2014, 17:43 »
When I collected my boat from Cardigan, I noticed that there were at least two other BR trailers that had been similarly converted to braked with 13" wheels.  In case anyone needs to know what the various specifications are, I've put together the following information, mostly for my own benefit:

CLH Trailers (01994 230055)
Model: 18' RC (roller coaster)
Serial 091110C
GVW 1000kg
Nose weight 35-40kg

Knott braked coupling KRV20 A1

Knott-Avonride full beam axle assembly 1000kg width 1500mm
Type QB10C Part no.C68366.005
Serial 13/143487M/014

Knott Avonride X Series braked hub, part C24014
Brake type 20-2425
Brake size 200 x 50
Bearing kit 571005 Ø34 x Ø64 x 37mm
Grease cap 573004 64mm
Hub bolt (conical) 574015 M12

Wheel: Mefro RRA39063 (old 43698 105) 4.5J x 13H2, PCD 4 stud 100mm, internal hole diameter 60.5mm, 30mm inset
Hub bolt size M12, conical countersink
Tyre size 185R13C 96/94N FRT Radial tubeless (Compass brand)
Max pressure 65psi
Wheel bolts torque 65 lb. Ft / 88 Nm
Tighten bolts in sequence N-S-E-W
Max tyre load at 140kph (87mph) = 670kg x 2

Jockey wheel tyre 260 x 85, pressure = 30psi

Trailer length 7.95m including rear overhang

Maximum weight 1,000kg
Normal unladen weight 780kg (with registration plate and mast but nothing else)
Graham

David Hudson

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2014, 19:44 »
Good evening Graham

You omitted to specify the colour of the jockey's racing silks!

Regards
David H.

ps another exellent reference piece.
David H.
BRe No. 35

david

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2014, 23:32 »
Hi Graham,
                        Excellent  reference materials  that many will  find useful. A question  about  the  brakes, are they electric or "surge" type? My trailer  has surge brakes and is rated as yours is?  Lots of debate over which kind  of  brakes  are better. Mine work. So, I am happy!

Merry Christmas  All.
David

Ex - BR 20 - Nomad