Author Topic: With or without Ballast?  (Read 21796 times)

Rock Doctor

Re: With or without Ballast?
« Reply #15 on: 02 Dec 2014, 03:12 »
Graham,
my inspection hatch is in a similar position to yours and alas I no longer have the flexibility or agility of an 18 year old. I have had water in there in the past and mopping it up entailed use of a piece of sponge on fishing line and nearly an hour squeezed under the deck after removing the false floor ahead of the centreboard case - not my idea of fun.

Surely there is a hatch that I can find to install on the deck that does not leak - might keep me out of trouble searching on the net over the weeks preceding Christmas.

Thanks for your comments.

Chris R
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Peter Cockerton

« Reply #16 on: 02 Dec 2014, 08:47 »
Chris

Major pain this one, hope my GRP bayraider doesn't develop a similar problem..
To aid finding the leak between ballast tank (BT) forward buoyancy chamber i(BC) i wonder if this approach might help.
Leave the current water in the BC, empty the BT. Find a suitable place on your boat to fit an air inlet valve which accommodates a low pressure air pump. I'm thinking here of perhaps one of the rear tank drainers or in one of the tank hatch lids to fit the valve. Using the camera idea inspect inside the BC for bubbles. I know exactly what you mean about getting to the BC hatch as i have had to do it in the past when looking for water to try and explain why my boat was so heavy. I found no water in the front BC but some in the side ones. If you found this to be the area of the water ingress you could consider putting a larger access hatch in, from memory i think there is space. And it may be helpful to get an arm through for applying sealant.

Peter

Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Rock Doctor

« Reply #17 on: 02 Dec 2014, 11:52 »
Hello Peter,

good to hear from you. Your idea sounds like it might be the way to go now that I have ordered an "el cheapo" led lit endoscope. I will have to think of a way to get low air pressure, perhaps using a tyre tube as a bladder might be enough pressure. I have drilled one of my small inspection port covers and installed a tubeless tyre valve so have that end of the deal sorted out. Next trick will be to look for bubbles.

Will post any developments but will not be until the weekend now.

Regards from Oz.
Chris R
Chris Robinson
BR20 "Gryphon"

Guy Rossey

« Reply #18 on: 02 Dec 2014, 12:42 »
Once the wind increased it seemed better to leave it totally secured rather than start undoing things and risking bits flapping around. 

Hi Peter,
I understand you fully. I once got caught by a 'bora', within 15 min the wind blowing at 120 km/hr, quite impressive.  In trying to take quickly my harbour-furled main down, the gaff was twisted.

Catchando Bay (BR#48)

Tim Riley

« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2014, 00:26 »
I used to get water in one of the side chambers. After emptying it out a few times discovered it was fresh rather than salty. Located problem to be faulty sealing of hatch cover by stern letting rain in. On installation some of the nasty self tappers had been overtightened and ripped the thread out of the grp. A tube of sikaflex and some nuts and bolts cured the problem. Incidentally I replaced the forward inspection hatch with a larger hinged version with a view to keeping sleeping bags etc in there as always dry. However even after doing that it's still too difficult to access.
Tim
BRe Ristie II
Ovni 39 Acheron