Author Topic: First sail of the year..  (Read 3611 times)

Andy Dingle

First sail of the year..
« on: 06 Jan 2015, 20:20 »
Following the theme of the 'last sail of the year' I thought to share my first sail of this year on Sunday 4th January.

A beautiful clear crisp day with a gentle F2 SW that did gradually blossom into a F3 later in the day, turned out to be extremely worthwhile despite all the problems of padlocks and trailer locks being frozen solid and the boat herself being initially shrouded in thick frost that make the decks extremely hazardous, all paled into insignificance when we eventually got out.
Even the bank of freezing fog drifting in from the south didn't spoil the day - it was quite eerie sailing through it.

Fortunately fellow sailor, Jack Harrison was on the bank side to take some photo's. He kindly made himself known to me so he could send them through, and I have uploaded them to the gallery - under 'boats', see 'Equinox - first sail of 2015'.
Also one from Julia and Ben who crewed with us as a 'trial' sail on a Baycruiser 23 - who, it seems, had a good day with us.

If this is how 2015 is to continue, sailing wise, then it promises to be a good year! Roll on those summer days...

Peter Taylor

Re: First sail of the year..
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jan 2015, 06:52 »
Hi Andy, nice atmospheric photos - they also demonstrate how much more space there is in a BC23 cockpit compared to the BC20! I had my "First sleep of the year" by seeing the New Year in on board Seatern ...but I don't suppose that counts!
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #2 on: 07 Jan 2015, 16:35 »
Andy, Are you now based at (on?) Rutland Water? Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

Andy Dingle

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 2015, 18:50 »
Rob.
I'm based there just for the winter. It is an ideal spot to base her for the winter after purchase for 'sea' trials. I'll be moving on at the end of March to my new club, the Grimsby and Cleethorpes Yacht Club where I have a pontoon mooring in Alexandra dock. You're favourite place! But it is an excellent club, in a good sailing area and considerably cheaper and closer to home than Titchmarsh Marina where I was before.

Peter.
That was the first time I had more than two on board and she easily contained all four of us and she sailed well. The cockpit is large and comfortable and I will be getting a cockpit tent in due course to make good use of the space.
The pictures are 'atmospheric' as you say. I am very pleased with them and am grateful to the photographers (Jack Harrison, Ben and Julia).
I'm not sure if kipping over night on your boat qualifies as getting out, unless you put the sails up? But we were more intrigued as to what you did to upset your wife for her to kick you out on such a cold night!?

Andy
Baycruiser23 No.25 'Equinox'

Peter Taylor

« Reply #4 on: 08 Jan 2015, 07:20 »
Hi Andy, I've been divorced for many years now ( and you'll probably think "no surprise" if he sleeps on the boat rather than in the house!).  Actually, where Seatern is moored I get a view from the cabin down the River Itchen towards the central areas of Southampton, so it's a good place to watch other people's fireworks. More generally, I quite often sleep in the boat since I enjoy waking to early morning on the river.  And why waste all that energy sailing to a mooring when I'm already moored behind the house  :D!!! 
Peter
Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk