Author Topic: Cushion saturated with salt water  (Read 2871 times)

Rob Johnstone

Cushion saturated with salt water
« on: 02 May 2015, 17:08 »
I wonder if anyone has the solution to this salty problem. At some stage in our wanderings, one of the saloon cushions became sturated with seawater (I think a particularly nasty and prolonged combination of roll and pitching motion allowed sea water to be "pumped" along the conduit from the gas locker to the cabin and thus onto the cushion). Despite repeated drying, ( and washing of the covers)  the cushion now always feels damp - because (I assume) of the hygroscopic nature of the salt left behind.

The question is - how do I get rid of this salt build up? The foam of the cushion is a couple of inches thick, 18 inches wide and 5 feet long.

Ideas on a post card, please.

Rob J
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

garethrow

Re: Cushion saturated with salt water
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2015, 18:00 »
I have had similar problems Rob and have to resort to finding away of washing / rinsing with plenty of fresh water to get the salt out before then drying. Just how practial this is depends on whether or not you can get the cover off the cushion??

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
Gwennol Teifi S17