Author Topic: "Not a Bloomer But Guano Happens"  (Read 3543 times)

Peter Cockerton

"Not a Bloomer But Guano Happens"
« on: 08 Jul 2015, 09:12 »
A post for members boating experiences to be told with perhaps a summary of good preparation, lessons learnt, mods and useful kit to have on board so others can perhaps be better prepared.

Rutland last Wednesday beating back up the north leg of Rutland Reservoir, full tanks, double reefed.
Put her through the wind, gust of 25 mph hit me just as she went round, she stalled, went over, starboard gunwale under the water, cockpit flooding. Tanks saved me, got her upright and sailing again, bilge self auto bailer and my whale gusher did the rest to remove the water. Starboard locker part filled with water despite me doing the mod to cut the corners off the locker seat cover. Must replace the sponge on the top and side inners to hopefully prevent the water getting in again.

I try and do the following so as not to shoot myself in the foot :

If solo and or wife and dogs on board always fill the tanks.
Always use the watertight small container fitted on the BR20  for key's phone, mobile wallet.
Any question on wind strength reef before setting out.
Before i shake a reef out if wind seems to have dropped wait 15 minutes then consider again.
Use the locker clasps i fitted and always make sure that they are closed after opening the lockers.
keep as much kit in the lockers and not in the open cockpit.
Stow loose ropes and fenders.

I keep in Mind :

Don't let competitive tendency's persuade me in not filling the tanks if solo or if strong winds are even a possibility, two boats sailing in the same direction is always a race is it not. I did not get caught out this time.

Forecast was 16 mph, gusts of 24mph, no gusts evident on jetty when i put the main up so i half considered full tanks and one reef, stuck to my plan before launching and put two in, will shake one out if conditions allow.

Keep the mainsheet un-cleated as much as possible however tiring it is on the arms, you only get seconds some times to "spill"

Installed kit i found useful :

Installation of two Whale gusher cross fed bilge pumps allowed me to help the self bailer in getting rid if the water in the cockpit very quickly. One of my pumps has a brass hose connector on the end, i keep a length of hose in the locker with connector on the end so i can extend the pump inlet for pumping out lockers and tanks if required.

The mizzen sheeting mod described in the library, now having sailed the BR17 and the BRe without this mod i have found no disadvantages in having this mod installed, comments on not being able to use the mizzen as a rudder are unfounded. The mizzen will not go round to 180 degrees and require manual help to bring her round again, almost impossible if the wind is blowing hard. The mizzen is much easier to sheet in and the boom does not bend under strong conditions. I have heard some put knots in the sheets to only allow the mizzen to have a limited swing, surely this stops you being able to de-power the mizzen when say coming onto the pontoon under mizzen alone in a cross wind.
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Anthony Huggett

Re: "Not a Bloomer But Guano Happens"
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2015, 12:46 »
Hi Peter,
          Thanks for a useful and thought provoking post.

On Emily's first sail I encountered the arm aching problem, but decided against installing a mainsheet cleat. Recalling my dinghy sailing days from 20 years ago, the mainsheet block had a switchable ratchet, so I went looking for one. Instead I got an auto-ratchet block (from Rutland Watersports, but almost certainly available cheaper elsewhere). This relieved the strain on my arms somewhat. If there is little tension in the mainsheet the ratchet is not working, but as tension increases the ratchet engages.

Anthony