Author Topic: Sleeping 4 on a BRe  (Read 3246 times)

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Sleeping 4 on a BRe
« on: 19 Jul 2015, 22:44 »
When I bought my BRe I bought sleeping slats to convert the cockpit in to a flat area. The intention was to camp there when more than 2 are sleeping on the boat, but that's never happened...until now. This weekend I made a basic cockpit tent (using a £4.50 tarp from Toolstation) and Nikki and I slept in the cockpit while the kids were in the cabin. It worked really well! So that will hopefully open up our sailing to include some weekends away on the boat.

I just wanted to share this given that it worked so well despite my worries that 4 of us on the boat just wouldn't work!
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"

tcave

Re: Sleeping 4 on a BRe
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jul 2016, 22:36 »
Hi Jonathan.
V interested in doing similar.
How do the sleeping slats work? And do you think an enthusiastic bit of diy and a trip to wicks would suffice?
Toby
Bre 34 swallow in keyhaven.

Jonathan Stuart

• Administrator
Re: Sleeping 4 on a BRe
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 2016, 23:05 »
Toby,

The slats work really well and the 4 of us have slept on the boat for 3 weekends so far this summer.  The slats consist of multiple wooden planks, say each about 2" wide, linked by 2 strips of webbing material. When not in use the slats roll-up (and live in a locker). When used the wooden slats sit on top of the wooden trim that runs along the inside of the cockpit benches. Finally, there are stainless clips on bungee cord at each end of the length of slats that attach to deck clips (a pair either side of the outboard and another pair just outside the companionway) to hold the slats in place. The slats wouldn't be hard to make but probably time consuming because the curved shape of the cockpit means every plank has a different length.

If you're interested then I'll post a picture. If you want to see the slats then I'm only down the cost from you in Dorset.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Ex - BayCruiser 26 #11 "Bagpuss"
Ex - BayRaider Expedition #3 "Mallory"