Author Topic: new local Navigation rules  (Read 3780 times)

Peter Taylor

new local Navigation rules
« on: 28 Jul 2015, 16:26 »
Seatern is now equipped to comply with the "Solent and Adjacent Waters 2015 Directive" which applies from the 1st August.  Due to the large number of jet skis and other motor boats in the area it will be mandatory to use the flashing indicators before tacking.  The brake lights are linked to the boat's GPS and come on when you slow down.  If you get caught in irons, the hazard warning lights flash.  That's progress for you!

Peter

Peter Taylor
BayCruiser 20 "Seatern" (009)
http://www.seatern.uk

David Hudson

Re: new local Navigation rules
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2015, 22:48 »
It's not April 1 is Peter?

If it's true, then God help us!
David H.
BRe No. 35
“Amy Eleanor” (and the dangerous brothers)

Peter Taylor

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2015, 08:00 »
Hi David,

No it's not 1st April and it isn't true either! Having rigged a way of attaching the trailer number plate to the boat to make it more visible (and nearer the back of the boat) than when attached to the trailer, it did make me wonder how long before we do have turn indicators on boats....  There are times when they might be useful; I've resorted to hand signals before now when cutting across the "traffic" going in or out of the mouth of the Hamble!  And yes, having taken the photo I did photoshop "SEATERN" onto the number plate in place of my car registration!

Cheers, Peter
Peter Taylor

David Hudson

David H.
BRe No. 35

Peter Taylor

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2015, 09:49 »
David, looks good!  I saw a new National 12 in the Force 4 Dinghy Store a few weeks back.  I commented that back in the 1960's they had a tendency to nose dive.  The guy in the store said "they still do" and pointed out the horizontal fins either side of the rudder. By part raising the rudder you can angle the fins to keep the nose up... I hadn't come across that before although we had experimented with something similar on model boats!
Peter

Peter Taylor

Matthew P

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2015, 13:00 »
Hi Peter

Could your "Solent and Adjacent Waters 2015 Directive" be summarised as Sea-Flash-Tern?

Thanks for your advice on slipways around Southampton, by the way.

Matthew
"Hilda", CLC Northeast[er], home build, epoxy ply, balanced lug
Previously "Tarika", BR17, yard built, epoxy-ply, gunter rigged
and "Gladys" BR20, GRP, gunter

Rob Johnstone

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2015, 19:17 »
I had to resort to hand signals when passing through the Dorus Mor passage near Crinan the other year. It was one of those situations where the tide had just gone favourable and about six yachts were trying to go the same way in a narrow passage that ended in the T junction. Vagabond was in front and wanted to turn right and we being overtaken by a large Halberg Rassey that I suspected wanted to turn left out to the open sea. The fog horn was below decks so I stuck my hand out to be rewarded with a burst of laughter from the Halberg and a cheery shout of "thanks"!
Rob J
Matt Newland designed but self built 15ft one off - "Lockdown". Ex BC23 #10 "Vagabond" and BC 23 # 54 "Riff Raff"

David Hudson

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2015, 19:31 »
I find hand signals are an excellent way to release tension.
David H.
BRe No. 35